Fastest Possible PHP

I'm running my own site only on the server doing strictly php work. I'm running APC and very happy with it. I found it faster than eA, Truck, etc..

I'm running the latest version of PHP so just wondering what mods can help speed it up even more and also what mods SLOW it down? (ex. GD and other php extensions, do they slow php down if compiled and not used?)

H

Himanshu

I'm running my own site only on the server doing strictly php work. I'm running APC and very happy with it. I found it faster than eA, Truck, etc..

I'm running the latest version of PHP so just wondering what mods can help speed it up even more and also what mods SLOW it down? (ex. GD and other php extensions, do they slow php down if compiled and not used?)
I think the PHP cache. It's surprising to me that this concept isn't built into the base PHP engine, but perhaps that's because some company's can sell this add on to speed up PHP. Luckily for us, some companies/open source projects provide this plug in to PHP at no charge. These plug ins are generally known as PHP accelerators, some of them do some optimization and then caching and some only do caching. I'm not going to pass judgement on which one is the best, any of them are better than nothing, but I decided to use APC, the Alternative PHP Cache. I chose this one because it is still in active development and is open source and free.