Installed LiteSpeed. Forbidden Errors Everywhere.

So we dropped litespeed trial in to test out its performance on one of our production servers to replace our Apache 2.2 suPHP install. Once activated we started receiving support requests all over from our clients. Websites everywhere were displaying forbidden errors. I deferred to the error logs and couldn't find squat regarding what was causing the errors but the usual missing 40x.shtml file entries. We tried switching back to Apache and received this over and over:

LiteSpeed Web Server Control Operation ... Switch to Apache
Stopped LSWS
Apache is not up within 30 secs, please try again
LiteSpeed is still running! Failed to switch to Apache. Please try again!

Starting apache manually resulted in listener port missing. Viewing its httpd.conf sure enough it was missing that and a slew of modules.

Ultimately to get our clients back up we had to force an easyapache rebuild.

So much for a drop in replacement. Not a great first experience with LiteSpeed. Besides htaccess rewrites, what are the common cause for all of this madness?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Sorry about the trouble caused by trying LiteSpeed.
There is a procedure to switch back to Apache, we will update our plugin to show the procedure when it failed.

Usually, for the first time user, we recommend user to run LiteSpeed parallel to Apache with "Port Offset" on another port, make the switch after verification.

For most cPanel users, LiteSpeed is a drop in replacement for Apache without any problem.
Maybe your server were using certain custom Apache configurations that is not 100% supported by LiteSpeed. If need help on identify those issues, please let us know, we can either provide a work around or improve Apache compatibility.

Apache, suPHP, mod_security, PHP5.213. Not much else. It may be possible mod_security had issues. Tweaks at the Apache level only really include keepalives, timeouts, rlimits etc. Nothing significant.

I will consider running it parallel on an offset and investigate the reported issues on that offset. I will turn on debug as well. Is there any other useful log besides the standard error_logs? As I have not made the purchase I understand I am restricted to this forum and will have slow response times. I didn't expect 16 hours though.

Sorry about the trouble caused by trying LiteSpeed.
There is a procedure to switch back to Apache, we will update our plugin to show the procedure when it failed.

Usually, for the first time user, we recommend user to run LiteSpeed parallel to Apache with "Port Offset" on another port, make the switch after verification.

For most cPanel users, LiteSpeed is a drop in replacement for Apache without any problem.
Maybe your server were using certain custom Apache configurations that is not 100% supported by LiteSpeed. If need help on identify those issues, please let us know, we can either provide a work around or improve Apache compatibility.

That would be I. ;) I wish I could rave about Litespeed but I cannot at the moment.
I assume you are the same person here ?