Problem installing PHP/LSAPI

I encountered the following error while executing PHP/LSAPI installation step 4 from the Wiki:

username@slice:~/php-5.2.1/sapi$ tar -zxf php-litespeed-3.0.tgz

STEP 4:

username@slice:~/php-5.2.1/sapi$ cd ..
username@slice:~/php-5.2.1$ touch ac*
username@slice:~/php-5.2.1$ ./buildconf --force

MESSAGE/ERROR:

Forcing buildconf
using default Zend directory
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: autoconf not found.
You need autoconf version 2.13 or newer installed
to build PHP from CVS.
make: *** [buildmk.stamp] Error 1
The prior 3 steps all completed without error.

FYI: I am setting up a slicehost 256 VPS (w/ ubuntu) and have already installed litespeed successfully. I am a LINUX newbie, so I am unclear about steps to remedy this.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dondi.

Dondi,

I ran into this, but fixed it via:

Code:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.13.tar.gz
tar zfx autoconf-2.13.tar.gz
cd autoconf-2.13
./configure
make
make install
Then run the buildconf again. :)

Thanks layer.

I tried your suggestion (using the latest autoconf) and got the following error:

cd autoconf-2.61
./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether /bin/sh -n is known to work... yes
checking for expr... /usr/bin/expr
checking for gm4... no
checking for gnum4... no
checking for m4... no
checking whether m4 supports frozen files... no
configure: error: GNU M4 1.4 is required
Looks like I'm heading down a rabbit hole! Any suggestions?

Dondi.

Thanks again layer. However, I used the autoconf-2.13 and got essentially the same error. Here are the execution results:

username@slice:~/sources$ cd autoconf-2.13
username@slice:~/sources/autoconf-2.13$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gm4... no
checking for gnum4... no
checking for m4... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating testsuite/Makefile
username@slice:~/sources/autoconf-2.13$ make
rm -f autoconf autoconf.tmp
sed -e 's,@''datadir''@,/usr/local/share/autoconf,g' -e 's,@''M4''@,m4,g' -e 's,@''AWK''@,mawk,g' -e 's,@''SHELL''@,/bin/sh,g' autoconf.sh > autoconf.tmp && chmod +x autoconf.tmp && mv autoconf.tmp autoconf
rm -f autoheader autoheader.tmp
sed -e 's,@''datadir''@,/usr/local/share/autoconf,g' -e 's,@''M4''@,m4,g' -e 's,@''AWK''@,mawk,g' -e 's,@''SHELL''@,/bin/sh,g' autoheader.sh > autoheader.tmp && chmod +x autoheader.tmp && mv autoheader.tmp autoheader
rm -f autoreconf autoreconf.tmp
sed -e 's,@''datadir''@,/usr/local/share/autoconf,g' -e 's,@''M4''@,m4,g' -e 's,@''AWK''@,mawk,g' -e 's,@''SHELL''@,/bin/sh,g' autoreconf.sh > autoreconf.tmp && chmod +x autoreconf.tmp && mv autoreconf.tmp autoreconf
rm -f autoupdate autoupdate.tmp
sed -e 's,@''datadir''@,/usr/local/share/autoconf,g' -e 's,@''M4''@,m4,g' -e 's,@''AWK''@,mawk,g' -e 's,@''SHELL''@,/bin/sh,g' autoupdate.sh > autoupdate.tmp && chmod +x autoupdate.tmp && mv autoupdate.tmp autoupdate
rm -f ifnames ifnames.tmp
sed -e 's,@''datadir''@,/usr/local/share/autoconf,g' -e 's,@''M4''@,m4,g' -e 's,@''AWK''@,mawk,g' -e 's,@''SHELL''@,/bin/sh,g' ifnames.sh > ifnames.tmp && chmod +x ifnames.tmp && mv ifnames.tmp ifnames
rm -f autoscan autoscan.tmp
sed -e 's,@''datadir''@,/usr/local/share/autoconf,g' -e 's,@''PERL''@,/usr/bin/perl,g' autoscan.pl > autoscan.tmp && chmod +x autoscan.tmp && mv autoscan.tmp autoscan
Error: Autoconf requires GNU m4 1.1 or later
make: *** [autoconf.m4f] Error 1
Thoughts?

Code:
wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.9.tar.gz
tar zfx m4-1.4.9.tar.gz
cd m4-1.4.9
./configure
make
make install
then go back to autoconf, then go back to buildconf ;)

Thanks layer! I had to install libxml2 in the same way as well, plus use sudo install, but your suggestion worked like a charm.

Now I've run into a problem with step 6:

6) Replace the lsphp binary (backup first) in /lswsinstall/fcgi-bin/lsphp with /php-src/sapi/litespeed/php:

cd /lswsinstall/fcgi-bin/
mv lsphp lsphp.old
cp /php-src/sapi/litespeed/php lsphp
I get this error:

username@slice:~/sources$ cd /lswsinstall/fcgi-bin/
-bash: cd: /lswsinstall/fcgi-bin/: No such file or directory
I have looked all over and can find neither the 'lwsinstall/fcgi-bin' directories nor the 'lsphp' file. This is maddening. Please help!

Thanks,

Dondi.

Thanks layer! I had to install libxml2 in the same way as well, plus use sudo install, but your suggestion worked like a charm.

Now I've run into a problem with step 6:

I get this error:

I have looked all over and can find neither the 'lwsinstall/fcgi-bin' directories nor the 'lsphp' file. This is maddening. Please help!

Thanks,

Dondi.
That isn't an error, it just means that you need to replace lswsinstall with where you installed lsws ;)

default is /opt/lsws.

layer,

Thank you so much for your assistance and your patience in putting up with the many Duh! moments. I was able to get through the full setup with your help. It is very much appreciated.

Dondi.

layer,

Thank you so much for your assistance and your patience in putting up with the many Duh! moments. I was able to get through the full setup with your help. It is very much appreciated.

Dondi.
No problem, glad to hear you got this working. :)

Hope your experience with Litespeed is as good as mine has been so far.

You are a generous soul layer. I hope I have the same positive experience as you as well. I am new to Linux, VPS, etc., but decided to give LiteSpeed a shot as I have heard that it runs more efficiently than Apache on my tight 256MB slice (VPS). My next steps are to get MediaWiki running, then a Rails app that I've been hacking out on my Mac. Thanks again for all of your help.

Dondi.

autoconf not found.

I'm getting the same error when I try to compile PHP "buildconf: autoconf not found.
You need autoconf version 2.13 or newer installed
to build PHP from CVS.
make: *** [buildmk.stamp] Error 1"

I'm on Dreamhost and using the following to install autoconf:
Code:
wget ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/distfiles/autoconf-2.61.tar.gz
wget ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/distfiles/automake-1.10.1.tar.bz2
tar xzf autoconf-2.61.tar.gz
tar xjf automake-1.10.1.tar.bz2
cd autoconf-2.61
./configure