[solved] 503 Error when using Gallery (Menalto)

Hi all,
My host (Eleven2) just completed the switch from Apache to Litespeed on their shared servers, and for the past few weeks I've been trying to figure out why my Gallery 3 site is not working (giving me the 503 Service Unavailable: The server is temporarily busy, try again later! error) and I just connected the dots that it must be Litespeed.

I've posted the error log that is available to me. I believe it has something to do with .htaccess file. The only thing in .htaccess file at root of server (folder up from where gallery is stored) is "Options -Indexes". I commented out the username and IPs for privacy.

2012-03-08 23:29:04.330 [INFO] [***.***.**.***:50133-0#APVH_********.com] File not found [/home/********/public_html/503.shtml]
2012-03-08 23:29:03.164 [INFO] [HTAccess] Updating configuration from [/home/********/public_html/.htaccess]

Any ideas of where I can start? Eleven2 support was great but they said it's a problem with my software, and I know Gallery 3 is not built nor tested on Litespeed servers. I have a thread on the Menalto forums but have not heard anything yet, I would like to get the site back up as Litespeed is supposed to be interchangeable with Apache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eleven2 said they will not disable this for me since I'm on a shared server. Was the issue with ZendGuardLoader ever cleared up on that other thread? It seems as though you submitted a bug report but there is no follow-up.

Solution!

To fix this simply edit /system/core/Kohana.php around line 704:
PHP:
if ($filename = Kohana::find_file($type, $file))
{
	// Load the class
	require $filename;
}
else
{
	// The class could not be found
	###############
	## BEGIN FIX ##
	###############
	/* Avoid segmentation fault in Zend Guard (Original: http://blog.teatime.com.tw/1/post/403)
		When ZendGuardLoader is enabled, it will try to load the same class again if does not exist, it will try a random name,
		then segmentation fault.  So, we keep the name first, then, create a dummy class for it. */
	// Only check this if ZendGuardLoader exist
	if (extension_loaded('Zend Guard Loader')) {
		static $last_name = '';

// Reject it first
		if ($last_name !== $class) {
			$last_name = $class;
			return FALSE;
		}
		// Create dummy one if try again
		Kohana_Log::add('debug', 'create dummy class: '.$class);
		eval("class $class { }");
	}
	#############
	## END FIX ##
	#############
	return FALSE;
}

NiteWave

Administrator
Thanks for the update!
to summary:
1. root cause is ZendGuardLoader
2. best not load ZendGuardLoader.so if not really need it
3.if have to load ZendGuardLoader, then above is a workaround to modify the source code of Gallery 3!