Memory requirements for high traffic?

Sam

Hello, I'd like to know what will be the memory requirements for the following conditions:

Website: 4-8MB (static content, text, images, no processing, not even Wordpress, just simple HTML5)
Traffic: Peak estimated: 4000 users / 2 minutes
CPU:
1st choice: 1x Intel Xeon E3-1230 + LiteSpeed x4core license
2nd choice: 2x Intel Xeon E5620 + LiteSpeed x8core license
Storage: SSD drives in raid 0 or 10
Dedicated server @ 1gbps port.

Also, can LiteSpeed with a 4cpu license handle that traffic with choice #1, or choice #2 is required?
(I hope #1 is adequate, as my budget is limited currently).

Last edited:

Michael

Staff member
Hi Sam,

I'd like to start with the caveat that estimating requirements based on traffic is, well, not necessarily accurate. If I were you, though, I would try option 1 first. I think it will be enough. (Honestly, though, the best way to know would be to benchmark a number of setups. I might even try testing out a smaller setup if it looks like option 1 is working well enough.)

Cheers,

Michael

Sam

Thanks Michael. In case I need to upgrade the LiteSpeed license to more cores, after eg a week, is this possible, and how?

Michael

Staff member
You're welcome.

You can upgrade or downgrade your license at any time from your account > My Services > View Details > Management Actions > Upgrade/Downgrade. This will automatically update your invoices in our system. (You will get credit if you downgrade. You will receive an invoice for the difference if you upgrade.)

Your upgrade will take effect the next time your server communicates with our license server. This happens automatically once every 24 hours. You can force your server to communicate with the license server using the command /usr/local/lsws/bin/lshttpd -r and then /usr/local/lsws/bin/lswsctrl restart.

Also, one other note about licenses. You generally don't need a license that matches the number of cores in your CPU (i.e. a 4 core CPU is often fine with a 1 core license). You did, however, mention that you are serving almost exclusively static content. Static content is served directly by LSWS and thus you may see benefits from having access to more cores (which is why I didn't disagree with your license choices). Perhaps you already saw this in our wiki: http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/wiki/doku.php?id=litespeed_wiki:license:what_license_to_choose

Cheers,

Michael

Sam

Thanks, I didn't notice this: "You can upgrade or downgrade at any time and you will only be charged (or credited) the difference in the license fee for the remainder of the billing period." which makes everything perfectly clear -very flexible too, good job!
I might need a bit more help when I'm ready (to purchase a license and install it).