We had installed Mandrake 9.2 on one of our test machine.
We run lsws on that machine, connected to ldap server on a Redhat box successfully.
Then we installed the default openload packages on Mandrake 9.2 CD, setup our test user DB, and successfully connected to the Mandrake box from the redhat machine.
So, the problem should be your test environment, please check IPTable configuration, ACL configure in slapd configuration, etc.
Maybe you should take a closer look at the content of package captured by tcpdump, compare it to data captured while running "ldapsearch". You can try "strace" to debug the problem as well.
We do downgrade the linked client library to 2.1.30 (the latest stable release), but as you said, it should not matter and we expect the same result with 2.2.x library.
We will release RC4 with some minor bug fixes soon, hope the strange problem disappear. ;-)