I've managed to find out that its the curl module.
my os has an updated libcurl library (7.21.6), and there must be something going wrong with it inside lsphp, because as soon as curl_exec is used anywhere in a script it suddenly stops working.
running php on command line works fine.
i rolled back to 7.21.0 with no success, and after -LOTS- of stuffing around i managed to get libcurl 7.15.5 installed, and finally got php compiled against the old version instead of the current (i wanted 7.19.7 to match my old server, but couldnt argue php it into using it).
suddenly everything seems to be working properly now.
suggest that some new stuff in curl is causing problems with something to do with LSAPI. i experimented with trying to catch stderr from my lsphp processes, but never seemed to catch anything.
hopefully you can look into it.
Last edited by anything; 05-28-2011 at 03:22 PM..