About the license and CPUs

Hello,

I am a little bit confused about the license system and processors/cores.

Currently the configuration of the box I intend to install LiteSpeed is:

[root@server2 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 3192.595
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips : 6387.71

processor : 1
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips : 6383.98

processor : 2
physical id : 3
core id : 3
bogomips : 6384.08

processor : 3
bogomips : 6384.18

What license (1-2or4 CPU ) should I apply ?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

ffeingol

Brainlag,

Don't think in terms of how many CPU's/cores you have (they are the same to LSWS as far as I know) think about how many you want LSWS to "use". If, for example, you are running a heavy PHP/MySQL application you may only want a 2-CPU license. That then "logically" leaves 1/2 your CPU's/cores to run the PHP process and MySQL.

I hope that helps,

Frank

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
What Frank said is true, another thing to consider is the I/O wait, like all other light weight web servers, blocking disk I/O will block lshttpd process, so if your server has high I/O wait, you should consider license for higher CPU count in order to compensate and bring the best out.

azn_romeo_4u

I'm on a total newbie at servers. Someone has recommended me litespeed.

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad, so that means 4 cores right? So according to what ffiengol said, you don't have to actually purchase the 4 core package. Instead you can just purchase for php/mysql application? And all this can be set up easily by yourself?

Also is http stuff considered for 1 core?

Last edited:

azn_romeo_4u

Cool.

So for example. I have two websites. One is a pretty large and active forum, and another website that allows hotlinking of small 1kb-15kb files. Mainly in those range. Some files go over 100kb but rarely.

Would two core setup be good or should I just try the 4core?

Also on the trial version do you get to test the full version?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
You can choose between 2-CPU or 4-CPU license, if you I/O wait is higher than 10%, go with the 4-CPU license. You can upgrade to 4-CPU license later if need.
The trial license is a full 2-CPU license for 15 days.

vivek

I have a Dual core Xeon server,using 1 core cpu license of litespeed, holding 1350 low traffic domains. It work great with 1 cpu license.

The server load is always under 1 around all the day.

Thanks to litespeed.
Vivek

anewday

I am still on my trial, is there any way I can use a 1-CPU license instead of 2 for the trial? The reason is because I can only afford the 1-CPU license and want to know how it performs on my server.

anewday

You can create a listener for the IP that your main site associated with. set "Binding" to one process only.
George, this doesn't seem to work if I config lsws to use httpd.conf. Do I need to map virtual hosts? Virtual hosts are empty due to using httpd.conf.

mistwang,

What is the difference between the VPS license and the 1 CPU license other then the obvious that one is designed for a single CPU server and the other for a VPS. I have read that VPS license is basically the same as the 1 CPU license. I have multiple VPS's I am wondering if I should run the VPS license or the single CPU license to get the best performance.

Hello,

our CPU info is:

[root@xxxxx ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
cpu MHz : 3192.394
bogomips : 6387.78

processor : 1
bogomips : 6384.04

processor : 2
bogomips : 6384.19

processor : 3
bogomips : 6383.90

we host around 750 domains and our average load is 2 ! Can you please advice as on the best license we need to buy ? how can we find the I/O wait time ?

Thank you again for your kind support.

Best Regards,
Alexandros .

IrPr

Hello,

we host around 750 domains and our average load is 2 ! Can you please advice as on the best license we need to buy ? how can we find the I/O wait time ?

Thank you again for your kind support.

Best Regards,
Alexandros .
mpstat -P ALL 1
it will tell you your I/O wait for each CPU cores

if you host large static files and you see high IOWAIT values then you may try 2 or 4 CPU license but for high loaded PHP scripts an opcode cacher such as xcache would boosts your scripts and it seems enough to me with 1-CPU license but Mistwang can advice you better than me

Last edited:
blocking disk I/O will block lshttpd process
IOWAIT is the killer.... it is why we went to RAID 10 with 12 15K SAS drives... we increased our IO performance 5x over a 4 disc RAID 10 array (also 15k drives).

In my humble opinion, processor speeds almost make no difference... the key to a fast site (in addition to something like Litespeed) is minimum IOWAIT. It seems to be the major variable that affects web performance.

Anything to reduce IOWAIT is worth it.

Warm regards.