About the license and CPUs

auser

Super Moderator
IOWAIT is the killer.... it is why we went to RAID 10 with 12 15K SAS drives... we increased our IO performance 5x over a 4 disc RAID 10 array (also 15k drives).
interesting ... can you specify more about it: how can 12 disks achieve 5x IO performance than 4 disks? what's your RAID card? Thanks.

Using IOZONE... you can easily test disk IO, and set block size and file size. If you want to test with noatime off or on, you can easily do that too - and know how much it helps on your system.

http://www.iozone.org/

You can also use SYSBENCH - use that to do OLTP benchmarks, test memory speed, and cpu speed. We have seen incorrectly matched memory cause as much as a 30% slowdown in the new Intel QUADQUAD and QUADHEX Dunningtons.

http://sysbench.sourceforge.net/

We have several servers... with different RAID 10 ARRAYS, based on SATA drives, SAS (SCSI)drives, and even SSD (Solid State Memory) (Intel X25-E Extreme) drives. Some are 4 drive RAID 10, some 6 drive, and some are RAID 1. We don't use RAID 5.

I have a file somewhere where I did a bunch of comparisons but I can't find it right now. Sorry.

In a nutshell, a RAID 10 array of 4 SAS 300GB 15K RPM drives results in ~ 46,000 on the Random write test, while a RAID 10 array of 12 SAS 300GB 15K RPM drives results in ~ 300,000.

The RAID 10 12 Disc Array is even faster than a single SSD drive.

We have found the SSD drives in RAID don't do very well - seems the controllers are not really up to it yet, even the latest Adaptecs.

We use the Adaptec \ 51645 \ SATA/SAS RAID controller in all our servers. Big onboard cache, fast co-processor, and 8x PCI.

Warm regards.

But in case a vps is hosted on a dual quad core processor based server, wouldn’t multiple cores be available to it and would go to waste by the vps license being limited to one core?

I currently have 2 quadcore server. Both webserver will be serving PHP/MYSQL, running CentOS.

I was recommend to take the 2 CPU license for both server.

My question is, what about the other two processor on the server?

phattran911

So the CPU means the number of cores, right? It is not number of processor.

So if I have a Xeon Quad Core (1 processor, 4 cores), then in order to let litespeed to use all 4 cores, I need a 4-CPU license. Is that correct?

Error

First of all i did mistake and i bought 1 cpu license because i believed it meant 1 server not core,
so me practically i have to buy license for 8 cores from the moment that my server is 8 x 2.26GHz, correct ?
can i install it with license of 2 or 4 cores and upgrade later if needed to 8?
Is it same software and it depends on the license or i have to install it from start ?
Thank you in advance
A newbie lightspeeder :eek:

phattran911

You can use 1 core, 2 core and 4 core license. You don't have to buy 8 core license. The core here means how many cores litespeed will use. If you buy 2 core license, litespeed will use 2 core to run. The six cores left will be saved for mysql, php and others. I am using 1 core and 2 core licenses for my servers which have 4 core CPU. Hope this helps

I think you didnt understand me,
i install lets say today lightspeed, with one cpu licence,
next month i buy the 8 cpu licence can i place it so all cpus will work ?

You can choose between 2-CPU or 4-CPU license, if you I/O wait is higher than 10%, go with the 4-CPU license. You can upgrade to 4-CPU license later if need.
The trial license is a full 2-CPU license for 15 days.
I have a Dual core Xeon server,using 1 core cpu license of litespeed, holding 1350 low traffic domains. It work great with 1 cpu license.

The server load is always under 1 around all the day.

I have 8 cpu licence with out, i am testing it because i have 4-5 sites from 1k-20k uniques per day with picks 70k uniques.

wiht out litespeed server was working at 20% with litespeed for 2 cpus dropped at 5-6% and with 8 is at 1-3%

my server load is too high and mysql is using about 50-120% of CPU !!
Also sometimes I see
PHP:
 <defunct> in process manager that it using alot of cpu too.

Do you recommend me to use litespeed?
is 2core license enough for me?

My server details:
Xeon X3440 2.53GHz + 8MB Cache
8GB DDR3 RAM
Centos 5.5 64bit
Apache latest version
Cpanel latest version

Regards