authorization realm in rails context

Discussion in 'Install/Configuration' started by jdan, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jdan

jdan New Member

I have setup a virtual host using the EasyRailsWithSuEXEC template, and I have instantiated it. Lite Speed is properly passing on control to the Rails application. The URL "http://mydomain.com/admin" returns a page generated by Rails. I want to add a context to this virtual host that will limit access to the URI "/admin" using an authorization realm.

In the virtual host's Security pane, I added a password file based realm which has a single user entry. Once this was done, I went to the virtual host's Context pane and added a second context. I assigned it a "Rails" type. I set the URI for this context to "/admin". I set the realm to the newly created realm. I left the Location setting blank.

I saved the context definition. This second context had a sequence of 2. The first Rails context (for URI "/") had a sequence of 1. I applied the changes, and clicked on "Graceful Restart". The web server would not start after that. I even tried rebooting the computer and then executing the "lswsctrl start" command, but the thread for the Lite Speed server would crash with a KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE error message. I needed to reinstall Lite Speed, version 2.2.2, to get the server running again.

Once again I tried applying an authorization realm, but this time I created a new context of type "Static". I set the URI to "/admin", set the realm to the one I created, and left Location blank. I also set Accessible to "No". I saved, applied the changes, and restarted the server. The server didn't crash this time. When I tried to access the /admin URI on the virtual host, I received a "403 Access Denied" page. The server did not ask me for username and password. I went back and changed the context setting Accessible to "Yes". After applying this change, the /admin page was returned, and once again the server failed to ask for username and password.

What am I doing wrong? How do I set up the server to limit access to a particular URI in a Rails application?

I am running Lite Speed on a PowerPC-based, dual processor PowerMac G5, Mac OS X 10.4.8.
  2. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

Location cannot be blank for static context, if you check your error log, it should complain that, you need to create "admin" directory if it does not exist under public/ folder, justa empty directory is ok, then use value "$DOC_ROOT/admin/" or just "admin/" for the location. Accessible should be "Yes" unless you want to block access to that URL.
  3. jdan

jdan New Member

That did the trick. Once I created an empty admin directory, with Accessible set to "Yes", authentication worked. I was prompted for username and password the next time I accessed the /admin URI.

Thanks.