gzip compression wildcards *STILL* not working

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
LiteSpeed can use manually created gz files, it is optional to create compressed version of the static file.
LiteSpeed is designed not to repeat the same task again and again, so the compressed version will be cached for sure.
Yes, LiteSpeed will update the compressed cache if the original file is changed.

aww

Well then there is still a bug in the 3.2.1 code for static gzip.

Because I cannot get compressed static files without specifically telling it to "Auto Update Static". If that is on, css gets compressed. If it is off, css does not get compressed.

(update about the page stalls, apparently not litespeed's fault, we're having dns issues)

Last edited:
Well then there is still a bug in the 3.2.1 code for static gzip.

Because I cannot get compressed static files without specifically telling it to "Auto Update Static". If that is on, css gets compressed. If it is off, css does not get compressed.

(update about the page stalls, apparently not litespeed's fault, we're having dns issues)
The question is: why would you not want to have the "Auto Update Static" option on?

aww

The question is: why would you not want to have the "Auto Update Static" option on?
Because I want don't want the temporary gzipped files stored. In hindsight it would save cpu time though, so I guess it's okay. The thing was I didn't clearly understand the option and it seemed like it should work even if it wasn't enabled.

Because I want don't want the temporary gzipped files stored. In hindsight it would save cpu time though, so I guess it's okay. The thing was I didn't clearly understand the option and it seemed like it should work even if it wasn't enabled.
It should save CPU time very significantly in my opinion - it seems like a great feature to me.

aww

Well the good news is the clever litespeed folks have now made it work no matter what that setting is set to in the latest 3.2.1 - can't complain about that, it's working perfectly...

Well the good news is the clever litespeed folks have now made it work no matter what that setting is set to in the latest 3.2.1 - can't complain about that, it's working perfectly...
That's good to hear. What level do you run GZIP at, out of curiosity? Do you do dynamic compression as well?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
It works for files already cached, For new file or updated file, the uncompressed version will be used. unless you are running short of disk space, this option should be enabled.

sofatime

Great that you have changed the gzip feature so that lsz files are in their own directory. I sometimes had confused people wondering what those lsz files are (they even confused some CMS systems).
BTW: The tool tip text at "Auto Update Static" is not updated yet.