Java/Flash Upload file

First off let me just say that this has been the MOST stable platform we have yet to work with. LiteSpeed is reliable and very open to a wide range of configurations for different purpose website. My issue is with a script we use to upload videos. Most are from 150 MB to 299 MB . The regular upload method (through HTTP request) works fine by increasing connection timeout setting although we also have a new method to upload which would be with flash upload. We have changed the "Compressible Types" to exclude java-script but we have run into an issue; files that are only up to 10 MB go through fine but bigger files for instance a 26 MB did get encoded but did not finish it's internal process. My question is would there be any setting for flash/java-script to limit the size of the file to be processed or timeout setting for such an upload with a flash uploader? I am just starting to get to know this web server and I am in a few words somewhat lost at this point. Any feedback would be immensely appreciated. Thank you all for your time and I hope we can get some results. Thank you again and congratulations for an excellent product.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
You need to find out that it is a problem with Flash/Java-script or server side.
For trouble shooting server side issue, you can try different web server, like Apache, you can enable debug logging of LSWS, etc.
For client side issue, we cannot do anything about it.

You need to find out that it is a problem with Flash/Java-script or server side.
For trouble shooting server side issue, you can try different web server, like Apache, you can enable debug logging of LSWS, etc.
For client side issue, we cannot do anything about it.
I actually had this same script with Apache before the switch and both options to up load worked fine. You recommend running Debug logging and try and upload a file through flash/java and check the logs? If you can give me some insight as to what I would be looking for in the logs it would be a tremendous help. Thanks for the advice .

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Just set log level to "DEBUG", debug level to "HIGH" from LSWS web console, restart LSWS, then try one upload. you can track the upload progress in the log, see if it really fully uploaded.
If it is, it must be the backend processing script issue, if you process the upload with PHP, make sure PHP upload limit is high enough, also, LiteSpeed store the temporary file under /tmp/lshttpd/swap, so make sure there are enough space in /tmp partition. Otherwise, you need to change swap directory to somewhere else.

Just set log level to "DEBUG", debug level to "HIGH" from LSWS web console, restart LSWS, then try one upload. you can track the upload progress in the log, see if it really fully uploaded.
If it is, it must be the backend processing script issue, if you process the upload with PHP, make sure PHP upload limit is high enough, also, LiteSpeed store the temporary file under /tmp/lshttpd/swap, so make sure there are enough space in /tmp partition. Otherwise, you need to change swap directory to somewhere else.
Ok I have tried the mentioned above and here are the results.
-The files does upload successfully. I can verify it through the logs and I can locate the file in the temp sub folder of the video script.
-I raised PHP upload limit and the file does get encoded. Although when it is being encoded server load goes very high. I have the max upload size at 400 Mb , mac timeout setting at 2700 secs, and memory limit at 400 Mb. Our average server load is .40 .70 1.11 but when encoding shoots up to 1.3 2.0 3.3 .
-Although the file does get encoded it does not finish it's internal process, by which I mean it does not appear for activation. After it is encoded in the temp folder it does not finalize the process. We set cron jobs to run for encoding if "autoencode" is set to off. When turned on the files do not appear in the acrivation list but do get encoded. When it is set to off , using the flash uploader, they get encoded with the cron job set to run every 30 mins.

My question regarding LiteSpeed of course, would be, would it be possible to assign a seperate process for this script only?( As you may already have noticed I am very much an amateur in this field but very eager to learn). I am trying to say is something that can control this script by itself and assign resources specifically for that script and leave the rest of the resources for the rest of the site. If I make any sense and if anyone has any input I would be very much appreciated. Let me know if anyone needs any mroe info from my end, I will gladly oblige.

is your flash uploader an open source script? If so I can test it in our lab.
Sorry for the late reply. I am not sure, in their home page they say they give "almost" 100%" of the code. The script is from Agriya and it's called "Channel". I am really desperate to figure this one out, we have over 12k videos between the forum and this script and our members are getting desperate to keep uploading the new episodes. I can provide you with all the info you need if you or anybody can help us with this problem. Let me know and I will PM you specific info you may need.

Another issue I discovered was that it's looping the same process twice. Since the cron job for videoencodecron is set to 30 mins, it start encoding the same video all over again while the other is still encoding thus freezing both processes and never encoding neither. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas regarding this. Thank you all for your time and thanks to litespeed for finally stabling my server load.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
It is possible to assign dedicate PHP group for upload scripts.
Your batch job problem is not related to LiteSpeed, maybe somehow to make sure the first batch is finished then start the second.

It is possible to assign dedicate PHP group for upload scripts.
Your batch job problem is not related to LiteSpeed, maybe somehow to make sure the first batch is finished then start the second.
How would I go about assigning a dedicated php group for that specific script? Because I think what's happening is that the script is using too much resources and maybe the server itself is not allowing for more because it is also being used with other scripts and does not want to compromise the load maybe?