Litespeed alongside Apache and Plesk? (for Rails)

subBlue

We are currently running 15 rails based sites on an apache 2 server, which is managed by Plesk 8.01 (on Centos 4.2). Apache and fast_cgi seems to be starting to strain at the seems so I'm evaluating other options and Litespeed looks very interesting.

The Plesk control panel has a different IP address (and runs on a different port) on the server from the websites (and a couple of the websites have unique IPs as they have SSL certificates).
My question is whether it would be possible to use Litespeed for all our Rails sites but keep apache for the server management with Plesk? If so what would be the approach for this in configuring my current Apache and litespeed? Would it also be possible to test it on one IP range first?

Many thanks
Tom

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
My question is whether it would be possible to use Litespeed for all our Rails sites but keep apache for the server management with Plesk? If so what would be the approach for this in configuring my current Apache and litespeed? Would it also be possible to test it on one IP range first?
Yes, it is possible to use Litespeed for all our Rails sites and keep Apache as long as there is no confliction in "IP:pORT" confliction for listener socket.
You can test your rails application with litespeed on the same IP but different port without touching Apache configruation.
After making sure everything work properly, remove Rails vhost configuration in apache configuration (via Plesk), then switch litespeed to the normal HTTP port (80).
All Rails vhosts will be managed via LiteSpeed's web admin interface, for other server administration tasks, Plesk is still available.