LSAPI Sockets Closing Periodically

Discussion in 'Install/Configuration' started by Ghan_04, Feb 19, 2012.

  1. Ghan_04

    Ghan_04 New Member

    I am having an issue where I have a few sites setup using PHP with the LSAPI external app. Each one has its own external app config so that I can use suEXEC and have each site run its own PHP processes. However, since switching over to this config, I am finding occasional 503 service unavailable errors with this showing up in the error log:

    Code:
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.188 [INFO] [66.249.71.161:42504-0#wayward] connection to [/tmp/lshttpd/wayward_lsphp.sock] on request #0, confirmed, 0, associated process: 5264, running: 1, error: No such file or directory!
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.188 [INFO] [uds://tmp/lshttpd/wayward_lsphp.sock] Connection refused, restart!
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.189 [INFO] [66.249.71.161:42504-0#wayward] connection to [/tmp/lshttpd/wayward_lsphp.sock] on request #0, confirmed, 0, associated process: 5264, running: 1, error: No such file or directory!
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.189 [INFO] [uds://tmp/lshttpd/wayward_lsphp.sock] Connection refused, restart!
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.189 [INFO] [66.249.71.161:42504-0#wayward] connection to [/tmp/lshttpd/wayward_lsphp.sock] on request #0, confirmed, 0, associated process: 5264, running: 1, error: No such file or directory!
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.189 [INFO] [uds://tmp/lshttpd/wayward_lsphp.sock] Connection refused, restart!
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.189 [NOTICE] [66.249.71.161:42504-0#wayward] Max retries has been reached, 503!
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.189 [NOTICE] [66.249.71.161:42504-0#wayward] oops! 503 Service Unavailable
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.189 [NOTICE] [66.249.71.161:42504-0#wayward] Content len: 0, Request line: 'GET /find-new/494107/threads?_debug=1 HTTP/1.1'
    2012-02-19 04:10:41.189 [NOTICE] [66.249.71.161:42504-0#wayward] Redirect: #1, URL: /index.php
    
    The lsphp.sock files appear to be getting closed and vanishing periodically so that they have to be restarted. I am also seeing lots of these statements in the log:

    Code:
    2012-02-19 04:10:12.000 [INFO] [CLEANUP] Clean up child process with pid: 5229
    2012-02-19 04:10:12.000 [INFO] [CLEANUP] Clean up child process with pid: 5231
    2012-02-19 04:10:12.006 [INFO] Remove pid: 5229, exitcode: 0
    2012-02-19 04:10:12.010 [INFO] Remove pid: 5231, exitcode: 0
    2012-02-19 04:10:22.000 [INFO] [CLEANUP] Clean up child process with pid: 5260
    2012-02-19 04:10:22.008 [INFO] Remove pid: 5260, exitcode: 0
    
    I have the external app set to auto start and run on startup with persistent connections turned on.
    Any ideas how I can resolve these errors?

    Thanks!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. Ghan_04

    Ghan_04 New Member

    Ok so I think I found the setting that "fixes" this.
    The external app's "Max Idle Time" should be set to -1 so that none of the sockets get killed to free up resources.
    However, this results in a lot of child lsphp5 processes stacking up taking up RAM, which I would like to avoid if possible.

    It sounds like this might be a bug - the fact that the socket gets killed to free up resources should not result in a 503 next time someone requests a page from that virtual host. Is there another configuration setup that I'm missing that fixes this?

    Thanks.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  3. NiteWave

    NiteWave Administrator

    what's other settings in lsphp ?
    Max Connections
    Connection Keepalive Timeout
    Instances

    for
    Run On Start Up,
    you can set it to No to see if any difference.
  4. Ghan_04

    Ghan_04 New Member

    Max Connections = 5
    Connection Keepalive Timeout = Blank
    Instances = 1

    Changing Run on Startup to No with my previous value of Max Idle Time (10) did not seem to have any effect - I'm seeing the same messages in the error log.
  5. NiteWave

    NiteWave Administrator

    forgot to ask

    Environment

    setting in Ext App.
  6. Ghan_04

    Ghan_04 New Member

    Right now I've got it set to this:

    PHP_LSAPI_MAX_REQUESTS=10
    PHP_LSAPI_CHILDREN=5

    I had the max requests set much higher earlier - it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Share This Page