new Apache coexistence option

I would like an option similar in idea to the Apache Port Offset, in this
case it would be Apache IP Offset...

I would like to run Apache on say 127.0.0.2 and then have lightspeed mirror
the configuration on 127.0.0.3

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
For the same purpose of the Apache Port Offset, or for something else? I do not see any advantage of doing that if it is for the same purpose.

Well to me it is for the same reasons only better then the Port option.

As now we can serve a site from either web server by simply changing the IP. So we can offer clients a choice of which server to use, LiteSpeed or Apache. They can choose which to use to serve their site, and not have to forfeit links by having to change port numbers.

To me it is a much better option then the port option, so if only one should exist it is the port option I would drop.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Your purpose is slightly different from what we intend the Port option for. In our mind, it was just for testing purpose when people want to switch from Apache to LSWS, two servers can co-exist on different port during the test period and make sure everything work properly on LSWS, then turn off Apache, and switch LSWS to the production port.

You want to run both in production and let people choose which one to use, it is an interesting idea, but I am sure how well it will go in real world application as it may not save much on system resources by doing so.

We have used this same idea with another non-forking event driven web server to good effect. We use it to let people be able to run a version of php that is not yet supported by the control panel, and for sites that serve a lot of images or files, and it does reduce overall load on the server.