proxy to web server - initial load slow.

I am setting up a litespeed server to serve as a reverse proxy to a jboss server.

The jboss server is listening on port 8080. When I go to jboss directly by hitting port 8080, the login page for my gwt app loads in approximately one second. But, when I go through the litespeed proxy, it takes about 30 seconds to load the same page!

This is very confusing to me. What is also curious is that, when running under the litespeed proxy, after that initial load, the other pages of the app run quite quickly. So, it is just the initial app load that is the problem and this initial load is NOT a problem when accessing jboss directly.

Here's my settings...
1) I set up a web server external app at the server level. It points to 127.0.0.1:8080 -- max connections = 20 -- connection keepalive = -1 -- initial request timeout = 60; retry timeout = 0

2) In my virtual host I setup a context that references the web server initial app. the URI is /AppName I have nothing else set on the configuration page for that context. By the way, I have tried /AppName/ as well with no difference.

I am at a loss. What could be causing this slow load?

Thanks for your help.

Well, I still don't know what was going wrong with the proxy, but I moved to using the ajp connector (servlet), using a context, and it works fine.