Question regarding PHP 'Process Limit'

Sindre

In the server log I see these notices:

[config:server:epsr:lsphp5]'Process Limit' probably is too low, adjust the limit to: 155.

Under Config->Server->Security, I've set it like the following:

Process Soft Limit: 10
Process Hard Limit: 15

The process limits for the lsphp5 app is not set explicitly (assuming it inherits the server settings?).

As I understand, this limit is per user. I have suEXEC enabled. What do you suggest for these process limits? Isn't 155 processes per user as the logs suggest way to high?

I am trying to find an optimal configuration for litespeed before I make the switch from Apache on my production server.

Thank you,
Sindre

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
You should not set the limit that low, you are looking for trouble as the OS will count all processes running as that user, when the limit has been reached, no more processes can be launched.
You should set the limit at lsphp5 external app level, it should be high enough for normal operation. I would use at least three times of the "PHP suEXEC max connections" as the limit.

Sindre

Thanks, but what difference does it make if I set it at server level or ext. application level if I use the same values? PHP suEXEC Max Conn is set to 5 (default). As I understand, this is per user - not total lsphp processes on the server. What other processes will a regular user usually need? Why would the process limit need to be so much larger than the max PHP process limit?

anewday

Good question, I've always been wondering this. Perhaps, you can add this to the tooltip an documentation about the OS counting all processes running as that user.