Replication + load balancing

Discussion in 'Feedback/Feature Requests' started by stefan, Jul 14, 2004.

1. stefan

stefan New Member

1. Replication of the website through litespeed.

Imagine for a company who has a backup-machine with litespeed running as hot-standby or just as backup. This company has to keep both machines up-to-date, maybe this can be handled by litespeed through replication. It is maybe far fetched, but it is a nice idea if you make modifications to files (webpages, css, php and so on) on the master webserver and this webserver will update the replication servers (backup , hotstandby ones) Or initiated by litespeed, through the admin interface, you can even use default unix commands!?

2. Load-balancing.

You can have load-balancing implemented if you have replication.
    the backup/replication server can be a just read (of course) server. Maybe you can even configure in the admin interface how the load is balanced, say 80% to 20%, or whatever you like to have it! This can depend on how powerfull the other machine is.
  2. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

Thank you for those feature requests.
    Load balancing is on our todo list.
    Replication is a cool feature, it depends on our schedule.

However, you may not be able to see those features in standard edition. :)
  3. xing

xing LiteSpeed Staff

Replication can be easily done with today's version software.

Let's say, you have /mylsws folder which contain all your lsws binary, config, and php/html files, you can just do this:

Subversion master server : /mylsws

primary webserver : run code update from master on /mylsws every 60 seconds

secondary webserver: run code update from master.....

For svn, just have to run "svn update" every 60 in cron and you have a full backup ready to rock-n-roll. I do this for my cluster slaves so that all them will have up to date code within 60 seconds when I change the code on the cvs server.

Replication of code/files is such a beast I say leave it to the specialty versioning softwares. =)
  4. stefan

stefan New Member

Thanx, I will try it and report back.