security: possible to hide that the server is litespeed?

i prefer to hide what server software i run completely from nosey people and hackers, is there a way to conceal that youre running "litespeed" from prying eyes completely?

joe

I too would like to see this feature as an option. Although its only "security through obscurity" its still camouflage and its another layer of defense.

The biggest risk of allowing the service banner is google hackers and automated tools targeting the web server based on brand. Still why help them?

Dani

I agree, specially when LS is kindof new and unexplored by "hackers"...

I understand why you don't want to remove this since it's a way for the users of the free version to give something back to you by letting others know about you. But beeing able to disable it in Pro wouldn't be much to ask for... And believe me this software will take over alot of httpd don't you worry about that =)

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
The pro/ent versions subsidize the standard version for everyone. However, the pro/ent users/sites are the ones spreading the reputation of the product that we know is great but the outside world has little clue about. Without a simple lsws header, lsws would get lost in the large "web server" surveys and with the still growing user base, lsws need all the help it can get.

There are more security features builtin to lsws as standard than most of it's competitors and I mean real security features. So let's not forget the real goal here: security through design.

I don't think it's necessary or good for the product but could see why some very few large users could have need for it. In that case, I say litespeed create a new "brandless" license like other software products. If it is worth it to you have to remove the name, pay extra for it. =)

zoom

apachesux,
I'm actually quite surprised you would use that handle/nick. Apache might not be as fast as litespeed but it's very flexible and supports more plugin modules than litespeed has to offer. Don't get me wrong, litespeed is a very good product in it's own right but I think it's still got some catching up in terms features with Apache and overall popularity.