$SERVER_ROOT variable in error document

Discussion in 'General' started by closet geek, Oct 19, 2008.

1. closet geek

closet geek New Member

Hi,

We are trying to setup a global error document page that all virtual hosts will serve when the error is triggered.

I tried to put this $SERVER_ROOT/404.html in the error document section of each virtual host but this simply triggers a redirect loop. Why is this variable not available? How do we solve this problem?

Thanks.
  2. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

That's because the file "$SERVER_ROOT/404.html" does not exist.
    You need to create the file first, you need to replace $SERVER_ROOT/ with the real server root, then create 404.html there, usually it is /opt/lsws or /usr/local/lsws.
  3. closet geek

closet geek New Member

Hmm fair enough, I assumed $SERVER_ROOT would work as it is used in many other places throughout the configuration.

It still doesn't work however, I have changed the value to /opt/lsws/404.html and the file is definitely there.

Thanks.
  4. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

check the file permission of /opt/lsws/404.html.
  5. closet geek

closet geek New Member

-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nobody 4 Oct 19 20:18 404.html

I've also tried 755 and root as the owner...
  6. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

It should work.
    What exactly the error you got?
  7. closet geek

closet geek New Member

I just get the standard litespeed 404 page. I've turned on debug output, the problem is that litespeed is looking for the file here:

/home/username/public_html/opt/lsws/404.html not here: /opt/lsws/404.html

I have ExtApp Chroot Mode set to Same as Server.

Thanks!
  8. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

Looks like it has been set to "$DOC_ROOT/opt/lsws/404.html" for some reason.
    How vhosts were configured?
  9. closet geek

closet geek New Member

We configured them manually. Which part of the configuration could cause this problem?
  10. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

OK, I know what is wrong, it is a misunderstanding, when you configure A "Custom Error Page", the path is a URL, not a file path.

You have to set the error URL to "/404.html", then add a static context, equivalent to "Alias" in Apache, mapping "/404.html" to "/opt/lsws/404.html".
  11. closet geek

closet geek New Member

All working now :)