[solved] Difference between 2 cpu, 4cpu and 8cpu?

Discussion in 'General' started by roycerus, Jun 19, 2011.

1. roycerus

roycerus New Member

Hi,
    I just installed litespeed. My admin says that we need to get only a 2 core license as we are using the amazon cdn and 2 core would be enough to deliver the data - in any case the rest of the 6 cores will be used to process php.

I am unsure if that is the best option. What exactly is the difference between a 2 core, 4 core and 8 core license - I know it says that it's optimized for 8 core. But what kind of optimization and results can I see if I invest more to get the 8 core license?

We are heavy php user and my server is a dedicated http server - quad core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz

Kindly clarify.

Regards,
    Roycerus
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  2. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator

3. roycerus

roycerus New Member

Downloads

My Server serves a LOT of files which are stored in an NFS. It's a vbulletin installation which serves the files through attachment.php?attachid=NUM

Does this constitute as file download or something else?

The cores which are being used by LSWS - are they also available for php processing if needed?

Will getting a 8 core license give me more FLEXIBILITY to serve files quickly and also serve php depending on user connections and current needs?

I have a dedicated mysql server - so the only processes running on the server is lsws and postfix. Given the scenario - I am thinking perhaps I should go with a 4 core / 8 core license - what do you think?
  4. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator

>Does this constitute as file download or something else?
    should be file download

>The cores which are being used by LSWS - are they also available for php processing if needed?
    yes. actually it's decided by kernel.

to enable lsws page cache for vBulletin, need 2-CPU(or above) license. between 2/4/8-CPU license, which is best for your site and traffic, depending on many other factors. you can switch between these licences, to watch the performance for a few days, to get the best answer from yourself.

for upgrade/downgrade license,please refer:
    http://www.litespeedtech.com/suppor...espeed_wiki:license:upgrade_downgrade_license
  5. roycerus

roycerus New Member

I have 2 cpu enterprise trial installed - if I buy a 4 cpu license would I need to get it reinstalled or will just updating the serial key work?
  6. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator

serial.no no change. no need re-install. as stated in the wiki:
    this is all you need do when upgrade/downgrade. it's convenient.
  7. roycerus

roycerus New Member

Thanks for your help Nitewave. I am running the 4 core license now. It's super!
  8. roycerus

roycerus New Member

One more question - how would you measure high io? Does it show in top?
  9. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator

run
    #iostat -x
    check %iowait and %util
  10. roycerus

roycerus New Member

I just ran into a "Prefetching is not allowed due to the various privacy issues that arise." on both firefox and chrome. This has never happened before. Could this be related to the Litespeed cache?
  11. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator

12. roycerus

roycerus New Member

Enable Cache Yes
    Cache Expire Time (seconds) 1200
    Cache Request with Query String Yes
    Cache Request with Cookie Yes
    Cache Response with Cookie Yes
    Ignore Request Cache-Control No
    Ignore Response Cache-Control No
    Enable Private Cache Not Set
    Private Cache Expire Time (seconds) Not Set
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  13. roycerus

roycerus New Member

No... this happened simultaneously on all three browsers. I have safari, chrome and firefox installed. I checked on all immediately when I encountered it. In one I was logged in [vbulletin] and the other 2 I wasn't - it happened on all 3. I don't think I have ever installed Google Toolbar - and definitely not on all three. It could be the Google notifier but that's a mac app not related to the browser.

I'll notify if it happens again. It seemed to happen after a period of inactivity.
  14. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator

I think lsws page cache are not enabled correctly for vBulletin.
    do you have installed vbseo or not?
  15. roycerus

roycerus New Member

Yes... I have vbseo installed. I tried the cookie creating and checking method but strangely it wasn't checking the cookie so I had to remove it. With the vbulletin product installed and the htaccess entry it was showing cached pages even when I was logged in.

After I disabled the product and removed the htaccess - things are working smoothly and caching the pages. But then the prefetch error happened.

It's strangely working smoothly again.
  16. roycerus

roycerus New Member

Happened again. I have disabled caching with cookies:

Enable Cache Yes
    Cache Expire Time (seconds) 1200
    Cache Request with Query String Yes
    Cache Request with Cookie No
    Cache Response with Cookie No
    Ignore Request Cache-Control No
    Ignore Response Cache-Control No
    Enable Private Cache Not Set
    Private Cache Expire Time (seconds) Not Set
  17. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator

18. roycerus

roycerus New Member

I think I would like to upgrade to an 8 cpu - looking at the requests I can see most of them are attachment downloads. How do I do that?

How much do you charge to optimize the server? Currently I have eaccelerator running but it's not recognized by some of the vbulletin modifications.
  19. NiteWave

NiteWave Administrator