[solved] Difference between 2 cpu, 4cpu and 8cpu?

Hi,
I just installed litespeed. My admin says that we need to get only a 2 core license as we are using the amazon cdn and 2 core would be enough to deliver the data - in any case the rest of the 6 cores will be used to process php.

I am unsure if that is the best option. What exactly is the difference between a 2 core, 4 core and 8 core license - I know it says that it's optimized for 8 core. But what kind of optimization and results can I see if I invest more to get the 8 core license?

We are heavy php user and my server is a dedicated http server - quad core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz

Kindly clarify.

Regards,
Roycerus

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloads

My Server serves a LOT of files which are stored in an NFS. It's a vbulletin installation which serves the files through attachment.php?attachid=NUM

Does this constitute as file download or something else?

The cores which are being used by LSWS - are they also available for php processing if needed?

Will getting a 8 core license give me more FLEXIBILITY to serve files quickly and also serve php depending on user connections and current needs?

I have a dedicated mysql server - so the only processes running on the server is lsws and postfix. Given the scenario - I am thinking perhaps I should go with a 4 core / 8 core license - what do you think?

NiteWave

Administrator
>Does this constitute as file download or something else?
should be file download

>The cores which are being used by LSWS - are they also available for php processing if needed?
yes. actually it's decided by kernel.

to enable lsws page cache for vBulletin, need 2-CPU(or above) license. between 2/4/8-CPU license, which is best for your site and traffic, depending on many other factors. you can switch between these licences, to watch the performance for a few days, to get the best answer from yourself.

for upgrade/downgrade license,please refer:
http://www.litespeedtech.com/suppor...espeed_wiki:license:upgrade_downgrade_license

I have 2 cpu enterprise trial installed - if I buy a 4 cpu license would I need to get it reinstalled or will just updating the serial key work?

NiteWave

Administrator
serial.no no change. no need re-install. as stated in the wiki:
Your license will be updated from our license server automatically once invoice is paid. Your local license key will be auto-updated within one day. If you want it to become effective immediately, Please run following commands to retrieve a new license key,

/usr/local/lsws/bin/lshttpd -r
/usr/local/lsws/bin/lswsctrl restart
assuming LSWS is installed to /usr/local/lsws.
this is all you need do when upgrade/downgrade. it's convenient.

I just ran into a "Prefetching is not allowed due to the various privacy issues that arise." on both firefox and chrome. This has never happened before. Could this be related to the Litespeed cache?

Enable Cache Yes
Cache Expire Time (seconds) 1200
Cache Request with Query String Yes
Cache Request with Cookie Yes
Cache Response with Cookie Yes
Ignore Request Cache-Control No
Ignore Response Cache-Control No
Enable Private Cache Not Set
Private Cache Expire Time (seconds) Not Set

Last edited:
No... this happened simultaneously on all three browsers. I have safari, chrome and firefox installed. I checked on all immediately when I encountered it. In one I was logged in [vbulletin] and the other 2 I wasn't - it happened on all 3. I don't think I have ever installed Google Toolbar - and definitely not on all three. It could be the Google notifier but that's a mac app not related to the browser.

I'll notify if it happens again. It seemed to happen after a period of inactivity.

Yes... I have vbseo installed. I tried the cookie creating and checking method but strangely it wasn't checking the cookie so I had to remove it. With the vbulletin product installed and the htaccess entry it was showing cached pages even when I was logged in.

After I disabled the product and removed the htaccess - things are working smoothly and caching the pages. But then the prefetch error happened.

It's strangely working smoothly again.

Happened again. I have disabled caching with cookies:

Enable Cache Yes
Cache Expire Time (seconds) 1200
Cache Request with Query String Yes
Cache Request with Cookie No
Cache Response with Cookie No
Ignore Request Cache-Control No
Ignore Response Cache-Control No
Enable Private Cache Not Set
Private Cache Expire Time (seconds) Not Set

I think I would like to upgrade to an 8 cpu - looking at the requests I can see most of them are attachment downloads. How do I do that?

How much do you charge to optimize the server? Currently I have eaccelerator running but it's not recognized by some of the vbulletin modifications.