[solved] open_basedir tweak via cpanel not supported

Discussion in 'Apache Migration/Compatibility' started by aww, May 7, 2007.

1. aww

aww New Member

Cpanel's "tweak security" offers a menu option to turn on open_basedir on a per user basis.

Litespeed doesn't seem to obey cpanel (not surprisingly as cpanel is probably writing php.ini in another directory)

How do I enable this manually?
    Any issues to consider under LiteSpeed vs apache?

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  2. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

cPanel override "open_basedir" for each virtual host in httpd.conf, it is honored by LiteSpeed, Please check it via a phpinfo page.
  3. aww

aww New Member

Well you are right, it's in phpinfo

However if I remember correctly under apache+php if you try something as simple as this, it should fail as it's trying to read a path outside the owner's own folder

echo file_get_contents('/proc/loadavg');

lsws+php+open_basedir is allowing it to happen without error
  4. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

As I knew, it is a bug in PHP 4.4.6, but PHP team won't fix it, you can check PHP's bug reports.
  5. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

Same thing will happen with Apache mod_php.
  6. aww

aww New Member

Ah my apologies then.
    I could have sworn it failed under my apache+php which was 4.4.6

Later tonight when traffic is slower I will switch back to apache temporarily just to double check (and see what php version I am actually running under that)

Was I at least right about [thread=1034]the /~username issue[/thread]?
    Last edited: May 7, 2007
  7. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

8. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

PHP 4.4.7 has been released, it might be fixed.
  9. aww

aww New Member

Please forgive my ignorance, for a php upgrade do we upgrade though your installer? So basically we have to wait until you make a package 4.4.7 ? (not rushing you, just trying to understand the process)
  10. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

You'd better building your own PHP binary, just follow tutorial in our wiki.
    It is the only way to get it up-to-date as early as you can.
    Make sure to uninstall eAccelerator before upgrade PHP to another version, then install it again after the upgrade.
  11. aww

aww New Member

I owe you an apology.

Apparently open_basedir *is* working, it's just that unlike apache, the error is not being thrown to the http output?

I just noticed this in the lsws logs:
    So it's working just fine.
    Just not seeing the error in the browser which threw me.
    Is that a php.ini option I might be missing?
  12. outeredge

outeredge New Member

Sorry to open up this old thread, however we've just installed Litespeed Enterprise alongside cPanel.

We have the so called 'open_basedir tweak' turned on, and in the /etc/httpd/etc/httpd.conf file under the test virtual host, the following line appears:

Code:
    <IfModule concurrent_php.c>
            php4_admin_value open_basedir "/home/thamesbu/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/$
            php5_admin_value open_basedir "/home/thamesbu/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp"
        </IfModule>
        <IfModule !concurrent_php.c>
            <IfModule mod_php4.c>
                php_admin_value open_basedir "/home/thamesbu/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/ph$
            </IfModule>
            <IfModule mod_php5.c>
                php_admin_value open_basedir "/home/thamesbu/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp"
            </IfModule>
            <IfModule sapi_apache2.c>
                php_admin_value open_basedir "/home/thamesbu/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/ph$
            </IfModule>
        </IfModule>
    When we look in our phpinfo however, it shows:

PHP:
    open_basedir    no value      no value
    Could you advise the cause of this and how to resolve?

Thanks

David
  13. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  14. outeredge

outeredge New Member