Some issues with waiting time

Discussion in 'General' started by ARP, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ARP

ARP New Member

Hi,

I have been using litespeed webserver for a few months now and I'm quite happy with how this arrangement is working. I have some small issues though. Some of the sites I host, mostly Joomla, Presta Shop and Magento, have a very high wait time when they're accessed, but just a part of the above mentioned CMSes. At first, I suspected that the server is slow, but this issue keeps popping up when the load is 2-3. the server is a quad-core xeon, 8 Gb DDR3, Raid 10, SATA, Centos+cPanel and the databases are hosted on a remote mysql server which is also a quad-core xeon, 16 Gb DDR3, RAID10 and SAS drives with a gigabit connection between the two servers.

Top looks something like this:

top - 22:26:32 up 73 days, 22:01, 3 users, load average: 2.55, 2.46, 2.63
    Tasks: 194 total, 2 running, 192 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 17.7%us, 5.1%sy, 0.2%ni, 75.1%id, 1.1%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.5%si, 0.3%st
    Mem: 7340032k total, 6995764k used, 344268k free, 232276k buffers
    Swap: 4194296k total, 1092k used, 4193204k free, 5067512k cached

I've also attached a screenshot with the load time of one of the sites. The servers are located in europe so accessing from amsterdam shouldn't take that long.

Attached Files:

2. webizen

webizen New Member

does this always happen? or just occasionally? i just tested your site with pingdom, wait time for base page is less than 1 sec. iow, your site is OK.

long wait time usually is due to delay in php processing or slow db.
  3. ARP

ARP New Member

Hi,

Usually, after a few visits, some sort of cache is being created and the sites start loading normally. Is there any way I can study this behavior in some logs or tweak the config files?
  4. webizen

webizen New Member

php and db usually are the bottleneck. that's why cache is needed to improve overall performance. you can strace php process and see where the delay is, as a starting point.