Stats Error Message

zoom

I seem to be getting this message when awstats runs.

File already exists: [/www/site1.com/logs/access_log.awstats], Awstats updating might be in progress.

The ownership and rights are fine and I'm running 3.3.15 LSWS. Any idea why this message keeps appearing? I should mention that when I do get the message awstats stops processing the stats for other sites.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
You can try latest 3.3.16 build by changing the version number in the download link.
If *.awstats was not accessed in 1800 seconds, it will be removed automatically.

zoom

mistwang,

After upgrading to 3.3.16 build I'm still noticing a number of problems with awstats processing.

ERROR fork() failed
ERROR Unable to rename [/www/site1/logs/access_log.awstats], remove it.
ERROR Unable to rename [/www/site2/logs/access_log.awstats], remove it.
ERROR Unable to rename [/www/site3/logs/access_log.awstats], remove it.

I found it strange that the server wasn't able to rename the file since it has full group rights to the directory and files. The interesting thing is that the file "access_log.awstats" for each of the sites doesn't exist, so many the message is incorrect. Perhaps it couldn't rename it because it wasn't there to rename.

The fork messages concern me as well. I've increased the memory soft/hard limits and the process soft/hard limits (see below). My understanding of the process directive is to limit the number of process a user can launch. I guess I'm not sure what should be set at the server level for process awstats for my 300 sites.

Memory Soft Limit (bytes) 300M
Memory Hard Limit (bytes) 450M

Process Soft Limit: 800
Process Hard Limit: 850

The sites which are hosted are based on a template which uses the suexec method of delivery. Each site is set to use the DocRoot ID, however, the web server is part of each site group. Do I need to increase the process changes at the site level? or is it something at the server level?? ideas??

Thanks.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
You should set "Update Offset" to different value for vhosts to avoid start awstats update for all sites at the same time. Create a few similar vhost templates instead of only one.

zoom

mistwang,

After some consideration I decided not the use the awstats addon provided in LiteSpeed. Instead I choose to handle awstats by just using awstats to do the job.

Even though it's a good idea to include awstats in LiteSpeed I have to question why? The web server should handle what it needs to do best which is serve up pages. It doesn't need to handle the job of processing stats, awstats perl scripts handle this fine.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
The built-in awstats is good for server hosting a few large websites, instead of mass shared hosting.
It is developed at early stage. we have shift the focuse on working with hosting control panels instead of having this kind of feature built-in.

zoom

Wise move. LiteSpeed has been spectacular for us when it comes to serving up the pages/php, security etc. I'm looking forward to LS 4.0 with the Mono & Python LSAPI support.

Last edited: