Updating static content / caching

I'm new to Litespeed, have it up and running ok with small static site. I'm wondering what is the best way to update web site pages without causing errors and ensuring that site updates don't cause page requests for unmodified pages to download content unnecessarily.

I'm doing updates like this:
- html folder in the root area is a symbolic link to the current content.
- Site updating/testing done in a separate working area.
- Copy working area to new folder in root called html_<date> where <date> is the current date/time, the copy preserves file modification times.
- Set appropriate file owenership/permissions on the copied files.
- Switch the html link to the new folder.

This works ok and lets me go back to old versions if i change my mind about something.

But, if the browser re-loads a page that has not changed, the page is downloaded again. Looking at the http headers, I can see that the file modification time is correct (i.e. page not changed), but the etag value is slightly different, even though the file contents are identical. It is of course a different file because its a copy of the original working area file.

Can anyone suggest a better way to do the update, ideally that keeps the site consistent during the update and does not take it offline during the update. I'm assuming its not a good idea to copy over or delete files in the html folder while the web server is running?