Licencing phrasing

Monarobase

Hello,

I've noticed that for a long time there has been alot of confusion about litespeed's pricing and I honestly think you are loosing customers because of it.

Peoples first reaction is to look at the number of CPU's and compare it to how many their server has. I did exactly this when I first found your site and it took me a long time before actually looking into it again.

Couldn't you rename it to something like per Worker licence instead of per CPU ?

What about trying to work out how much you loose because of the complicated phrasing and compare it to how many customers have licences with more than, 4, 6 or 8 CPU's and bring in an unlimited licence ?

We currently have a 4 CPU licence on our biggest server (32 threads) and never get close to using 4 CPU's for litespeed. I guess that only a very small percentage of customers need more than 4 CPU's.

This is only a suggestion, but wouldn't having something like :

2CPU's, 4CPU's, Unlimited CPU's

Encourage people who only rearly need 2 or 4 CPU's to order an Unlimited CPU's licence ?

If so wouldn't it be financially viable to offer an unlimited CPU's licence in exchange for a few customers with more than X CPU licence ?

Michael

Staff member
Howdy @Monarobase,

This is a very good suggestion. We have actually considered this and will probably be moving to a model that looks something like this in the future. (I don't want to make any specific guarantees because we have not had time to settle on a system.) The only thing stopping us is simply that we have not had the time to devote to this (to figure out exactly what system makes sense, to change the billing system, and to update the license types in all our content). Many other things — like doing more outreach at conferences, developing the (name redacted) Magento extension, and improving partnerships with cPanel and Parallels — have taken priority. I think that updating the licensing structure is a good idea, but, for now, there are other things that we feel demand our attention more (and that we believe will lead to more users having a better experience).

Thanks again for the suggestion. It definitely helps us to decide what to prioritize next.

Cheers,

Michael

Last edited:

Michael

Staff member
Ha! We haven't really announced it yet. It not a secret really, but I've now removed it from the last post. Let's keep it under wraps for another couple weeks.

:D