LiteSpeed compatibility with CloudLinux's Ruby Selector

Hello,

I'm trying to install redmine for a customer (cPanel, CloudLinux, PHP/Ruby Selector & LiteSpeed 5.0.10).
I followed the instructions here http://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.html?redmine.html and everything completed successfully, besides the fact apparently the .htaccess and dispatch.fcgi are not compatible with LiteSpeed, so the website itself is not loading (the browser downloads the dispatch.fcgi file instead of "running" the Rails App).

I've created the .ls_rails_config file in the account's root (/home/username/.ls_rails_config) and entered the necessary info there:

The public files (ie .htaccess & dispatch.fcgi) are located in /home/username/public_html/redmine/ and the rest of the code is in /home/username/redmine/

My .ls_rails_config looks like this:
Code:
#RailsApp <name> <App Path> <Rails Env> <Children Processes> <RunOnStart>
RailsApp redmine "/redmine" "production" 4 1

#RailsAppMap <name> <domain> <URI>
RailsAppMap redmine "domain.com" "/redmine/"
The Ruby Selector looks like this: http://cl.ly/eVlY

Any idea how can LiteSpeed interact with the Ruby Selector?

Thanks,
George T.

wanah

Hello, is making litespeed compatible still on a low priority or do you have some form of ETA ? We don't want to provide ruby to our customers until they can choose which version. Cloudlinux's system is, in our point of view, the only valid way to provide ruby to shared hosting customers.

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
I am not aware of any ETA yet at this stage. The evaluation may depend on usage base. Currently there are quite a few projects focusing on application cache.

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you would like to create multiple virtual hosts and each for one projct, then you may try the virtual host template from the above wiki.

wanah

The issue here is that we use litespeed enterprise for shared hosting and it's not viable to have to manually set this up for a user. We need it as simple as cloudlinux makes it.

The user selects his ruby environement and uri and clicks save.

We rearly hope you will prioritise this some time soon.

I know you are working on magento and wordpress cache plugins, but they too will only be usable when they don't need a cron per user and when they work by default without any manual intervention from the webhost or the customer except installing the plugin and clicking on ok.

For the type of site on which it's financially viable to make manual changes per vhost, we put those customers on managed VPS's because they also need high availability and then we often don't have the budget to pay for control panel or software licences.

Making ruby compatible on shared hosting is currently more important for us than cache plugins that require manual intervention per vhost.

wanah

Hello,

I've just read some news from Cloudlinux that hopefully will make this feature request more important to LiteSpeed.

https://cloudlinux.com/cloudlinux-o...e-improvements-in-the-works-for-cloudlinux-os

Improved Ruby/Python/NodeJS support - we see a lot of people using it, and we plan to continue improving our Ruby/Python Selectors and add NodeJS selector as well. While PHP is still the king, both JS and Python usage is growing fast.
I don’t know how to put this, but the lack of a good way to provide Ruby, Python and NodeJS with Litespeed is really bugging us. If you had a voting system for new features, all of our votes would be on this one. Please reconsider the priority for making Litespeed compatible with Cloudlinux’s Ruby Selector, Python Selector and their future Nodejs Selector.

If this feature isn’t made more important soon, we will be looking into other ways of providing this.

I agree with this 100%. I am getting a bit tired of turning away customers. Those 3 are growing is popularity so fast it really should be a priority.

wanah

I spoke about this with Michael, he explained that their developement of Cache features and the 5.1 soon making it to stable means that this request it's top priority yet. I fully understand and hope that this makes it to top priority before Cloudlinux's Nodejs selector becomes available and stable.

wanah

Hello, I know your current position on this, however I want to let you know that we have recently had a very large increase of customers requiring specific versions of Python3 that are required to run tools like Hugo on the server side.

We are having to say no to more and more customers asking for Ruby (Redmine etc) or Python (Hugo etc). We just can't allow customers to use tools for which we only have one version, they have to be able to choose their version.

I think we can wait until LS 5.1 makes it to stable for you to start work on this, but not much longer than that. Although we don't want to we might have to look into using Apache + Cloudlinux's LSAPI + maybe nginx or varnish if you don't have a solution to this in the forseable future.

I sorry to say this but Cache plugins are not our priority, while nice to have they are not something that we would loose customers by not having, whereas Ruby and Python (and in the future NodeJS) are things that could make us loose customers.

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Please try with LSWS 5.2RC2

/usr/local/lsws/admin/misc/lsup.sh -f -v 5.2RC2

Last edited by a moderator: