Another Apache / LiteSpeed how-to question

hello,

I own a small web server (running debian 3.1) with several clients. I have read through this site and the free litespeed edition seems right for me.

what I want to do is this:

Have apache2 continue running as my main webserver app on port 80 but have it redirect requests for static content, i.e. .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png to my litespeed installation running on port 88. This can easily dbe done with mod_proxy apache2 module, the only other problems I see are to get litespeed to "know" my vhost installation so that it knows what static content to serve and where to get it.

so how would I start this?

- install litespeed
- make a separate user for it (requiered? useful?)
- make it "learn" my vhost settings from apache2 (how?)
- start litespeed and test if it serves the content right
- implement the mod_proxy directives for a testsite so that apache2 serves everything except images

any hints and help is welcome.
btw. I really need this as my apache2 processes are bloated up to 24MB and those huge processes are mainly serving static content as my main client and also the biggest one basically have a huge coppermine gallery...

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
What you proposed does not help, as all requests still go through Apache.
You should replace Apache with LiteSpeed and let LiteSpeed handle everything, unless there is something that LiteSpeed is incapable of.

Are you using any control panel?
Anyway, you can follow our cPanel how to let litespeed read Apache httpd.conf directly, just ignore any cPanel related instructions.
http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/wiki/doku.php?id=litespeed_wiki:apache:cpanel

If you have difficulty and want more help from us, we have installation service available.

thx for the quick answer.

the link was very useful.
I think I'll go ahead and try to install lsws and have it running with a certain address offset so I can test it. If I can get everythign running smoothly I can go ahead and step back from apache2

I am using ispcfg from: http://www.ispconfig.com/

I guess it won't be hard to get it to know and accept that apache2 will be running from another port, as I don't want to fully renounce apache2 for now until I am really sure lsws can handle anything from the vhost files of apache2 as I don't have the time to learn all the tricks I had to learn for apache2 for lsws right now.

How reliable is lsws in using apache2 vhost files?

Do I have to run lsws as root? isn't it safer to create a user/group for it like I have with apache2 (www-data/www-data using Debian)?

Just noticed another issues I have to look up: logging. ispcfg uses a special apache2 log format to track data and resource usage of the users...

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
How reliable is lsws in using apache2 vhost files?
Should be very well.
Do I have to run lsws as root? isn't it safer to create a user/group for it like I have with apache2 (www-data/www-data using Debian)?
Yes, start lsws as root, it will change user id to the user id specified during installation, you should use the same user id as apache2 during installation.

Just noticed another issues I have to look up: logging. ispcfg uses a special apache2 log format to track data and resource usage of the users...
How special it is, usually, "combined" log format is used by Apache, which is the defautl format used by LSWS.