Benifits of paying for LS CACHE license

Hello guys
We have a bunch of VDS servers and we are thinking of paying for LS CACHE license for 6$ per each VDS server.

I want to ask how LS CACHE works exactly ? (in details)
What is its difference with other caching methods like mod_cache ?

Each of our servers are hosting over 300-400 website so If we enable cache Globally on the server is it possible to have a disaster on the server?
Does it need any configurations from the websites as well (i mean htaccess)

I want a very detailed answer and an explanation which informs us WHY DO WE NEED TO HAVE LS CACHE?

Michael

Staff member
Hello guys
We have a bunch of VDS servers and we are thinking of paying for LS CACHE license for 6$ per each VDS server.

I want to ask how LS CACHE works exactly ? (in details)
What is its difference with other caching methods like mod_cache ?

Each of our servers are hosting over 300-400 website so If we enable cache Globally on the server is it possible to have a disaster on the server?
Does it need any configurations from the websites as well (i mean htaccess)

I want a very detailed answer and an explanation which informs us WHY DO WE NEED TO HAVE LS CACHE?
Hi Armin,

Sorry it's taken us so long to respond. We've been rather busy these last couple days and, well, this is a long question to answer. I'm not quite sure where you want me to start, but I'll give it a try and if you have more questions, feel free to ask:

LSCache is explained to some degree here: https://www.litespeedtech.com/support/wiki/doku.php/litespeed_wiki:cache:lscache:setup-guidline

LSCache is a page caching module. It is very much like mod_cache, except that mod_cache is for Apache and LSCache is for LSWS and LSCache is faster. LSCache (and mod_cache) stores pages that you designate as cacheable and serves that content instead of creating it dynamically each time. This speeds up service of dynamic content, but, because this content is not dynamically created, you have to be careful what pages you designate as cacheable. Some pages, like shopping carts, should not be cached. They need to be dynamically created each time.

So, yes, it is possible for caching to create a disaster on the server. Depending on the site, page caching can be complicated. It needs to be configured with the particular site in mind (often using rewrite rules in .htaccess files). However, if set up carefully (note how, in the wiki, we turn it off at the server level and then only enable in certain .htaccess files), page caching can give performance and efficiency increases for dynamic content that you can't get any other way.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Cheers,

Michael