Cache breaks vBulletin's "Mark Forums Read" functionality?

I'm testing Litespeed's caching feature and it seems that it breaks vBulletin's "Mark Forums Read" functionality... which I guess shouldn't be a big surprise or should it...?

In other words index.php which displays with different icons if forums have unread messages doesn't work properly when caching is enabled. Probably the reason is obvious - it returns a cached version where the icons are not user specific...and actually the same is with forumdisplay.php

So is there a way to go around this or is Litespeed's caching feature useful at all with vBulletin. Yes, it caches pages and reduces server load which is excellent but if it at the same time breaks a really useful feature and makes forum less end user friendly makes me wonder its usability... or is there some setting which enables unregistered users to keep track of their forum usage. Keeping my fingers crossed here.... :)

NiteWave

Administrator
I just played with "Mark Forums Read"...
lsws cache is for guest user only, all guest users share 1 cached page, so it'll have this issue. it looks vBulletin store the info in forum_view cookie.

there may be no ideal cache solution for this case yet.
I think varnish can't do it too.

another point, if vBulletin implement "Mark Forums Read" feature purely in javascript + cookie, since lsws page cache won't change forum_view cookie's value, it's possible to let it work even user get a cached page.

how about registered user ? is the function working ?

Last edited:
Uh, that's doesn't sound good because it seems that you have to exclude also forumdisplay.php and search.php in addition to that index.php

That's because forumdisplay.php also uses icons to show read status and then search.php because that is used in "New Posts" function.

So a working .htaccess -file looks like this:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/forums/(login|register|usercp|private|profile|cron|image|search|index|forumdisplay)\.php$

So basically Litespeed's cache is only usable with caching discussion threads?

ps. registered users don't have these problems.

NiteWave

Administrator
when try to reply, searched vbseo, just got to know "vbseo is suspending operations" since July this year ?

it's different way to enable cache for vBulletin with or without vbseo. as we have written wiki page for them separately.

So basically Litespeed's cache is only usable with caching discussion threads?
if you're familiar with varnish or other cache product, can you give a detail example which varnish can but litespeed can't? Of course I know varnish is powerful than litespeed in cache category. let's limit to vBulletin, and what you expect most the cache function for vB, either varnish or litespeed or any other product. so we know if it's a general cache issue or specific to litespeed.

Hi NiteWave!

when try to reply, searched vbseo, just got to know "vbseo is suspending operations" since July this year ?

it's different way to enable cache for vBulletin with or without vbseo. as we have written wiki page for them separately.
Was your reply meant for me? I don't use vbseo at all so I don't know where that came up.

if you're familiar with varnish or other cache product, can you give a detail example which varnish can but litespeed can't?
I do know Varnish but I haven't installed that because I haven't found a working/reliable vBulletin -compatible configuration anywhere. That's why i chose Litespeed cache because I was under impression that I could use that with vB easily.

Of course I know varnish is powerful than litespeed in cache category. let's limit to vBulletin, and what you expect most the cache function for vB, either varnish or litespeed or any other product. so we know if it's a general cache issue or specific to litespeed.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with other caching solutions so I don't know if this is a general issue or Litespeed specific.

The more I think this issue the more I think it's actually vBulletin issue if anything else.

I think it would be a killer feature if Litespeed could write a plugin for vBulletin that would somehow solve this issue. I'm pretty sure that many vB customers would be ready to buy Litespeed if that were available.