command line restart of individual rails apps instead of webserver?

nathanc

Is there a way to restart an individual rails application that is configured for a vhost template from the command line?

I will have several different rails applications on one server. When a user commits a change to their rails app that needs a restart, I would like to restart, from the command line, just their configured instance instead of the entire webserver instance, to minimize downtime.

I know that I can do this samething from the interface, but I need to automate this. At the moment I restart the entire webserver, when a change is committed.

I just tested this, but can't say for sure it reloads the code..

If you kill the parent process (the one with SNs in it's activity column), it kills it's children. Then when a new request comes into the site, it'll start it again.

Perhaps this would work for you? It might be hard to grep out the process ID for the site you wanted to restart only, but still...

nathanc

Thats is an interesting solution. I think that would be a decent work around. I would still like to see LS implement a commandline individual site reload.

Thanks fantasydreaming!