Cores + Apache 2.2?

Hello,

Is there any big difference between

LiteSpeed Enterprise (1CPU-Core)
LiteSpeed Enterprise (4CPU-Core)

If I would run bechmarks on 4 CPUs server with both of those, what difference I shall notice?

------------------------------

Why I can't find latest stable Apache 2.2 benchmarks results on your page?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
It depends on your web application. If you site is mostly powered by PHP, you will not see big differences. If your site is mainly static content or HTTPS, 4CPU license will work better.

Another thread about License and CPU: http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/forum/showthread.php?t=1660

We usually recommend 2-CPU license as the minimum for 4CPU or 8CPU server, and you will get squid like disk cache in our 4.0 release, which may give your site a big boost in performance.

Apache 2.2 was not widely used when we did those benchmarks.

It depends on your web application. If you site is mostly powered by PHP, you will not see big differences. If your site is mainly static content or HTTPS, 4CPU license will work better.

Another thread about License and CPU: http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/forum/showthread.php?t=1660

We usually recommend 2-CPU license as the minimum for 4CPU or 8CPU server, and you will get squid like disk cache in our 4.0 release, which may give your site a big boost in performance.

Apache 2.2 was not widely used when we did those benchmarks.
Hi,

Do you plan to run benchmakrs again someday + LiteSpeed 3? I'm now using 2.2 and just would like to see what is the difference.

I've nearly 1000 accounts running on server with lots of different modules for Apache and PHP. Do you ensure that everything will work and fix (if something doesn't) for free + install everything or that's something what I need to do?

Is there any performance increase if I chose OS 64 bit instead of 32 bit for LiteSeed?

What about update process? Do you integrate LS to cPanel so it would update the way Apache Update does in WHM or?

Thanks, reading that post.

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
We plan to do benchmark again with our 4.0 release.
There are many hosting company using cPanel + LiteSpeed hosting thousands of accounts. I am pretty sure everything will work just fine. We will fix any bug discovered.

There is no big difference between 64bit and 32bit LSWS, you will not go wrong with either one.

Update is very easy, just login to the web console and click upgrade after we publish the new release.

Thanks. Subscribed to your news and will wait for 4.0 then to see what it's like (compared to latest stable Apache).

Also, if you can, please include some kind of benchmarks like:

Dual Quad Harpertown 8 Cores results with:
LiteSpeed Enterprise (1CPU-Core)
LiteSpeed Enterprise (2CPU-Core)
LiteSpeed Enterprise (4CPU-Core)
LiteSpeed Enterprise (8CPU-Core)

That would help me to decide, whether it's worth an extra $150 for each core or not.

See you soon.

Last edited:

furimedia

I'm a bit confused about this issue.
Does this mean that if my sites are basically PHP/Mysql database driven sites, I will not see much difference from any of the 2cpu to the 4cpu/8cpu license?

If I have a 8 Core CPU, Does that mean that a 8 CPU license won't utilize all 8-cores at peak of their performance?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
It is not that 8-CPU license won't utilize all 8-cores for PHP/MySQL driven sites, it does. It is just that PHP and MySQL server processes work on their own so all 8-CPU are more likely to be fully utilized by those processes without a 8-CPU license.

We usually recommend a license matches half the number of CPU/Core of the server for PHP/MySQL driven site. However, N-CPU license has higher impact on performance when massive amount of static content or HTTPS need to be served, as those requests are served by LSWS internally.