Disappointed with Litespeed

So, we've switched a server of ours over to Litespeed + cPanel and after the intial 'Hey this is neat.' I'm extremely disappointed. The speed and response are not quite what I was expecting, and it's taken a lot of tuning to get it to keep a reasonable load.
I'm wondering, is there some magical value/variable in the config that I'm missing? This is a shared server with a decent number of clients, and to get the best performance and a decent load I've had to disable smart keepalives and stick the lshttp cache to a /dev/shm folder.
The worst part that bugs me the most is the 'first byte' junk. It seems incredibly slow to even an overloaded Apache server. Once it gets that bit through the pages load lightning fast, but that initial bit just seems so incredibly slow.
Cache settings are set to on, 120 sec storage, and everything else default, as this is cPanel I'm not sure how to properly setup private cache as the LSWS manager doesn't have proper vhosts.
I know some of the people on here run LSWS, maybe some insight?SHAREit Appvn

Last edited:

serpent_driver

Maybe you don't know it, but Litespeed isn't something miracle. Litespeed is only a webserver and if it is running on a shared hosting with many clients with low ressources LiteSpeed can't compensate a slow connection to database. But in comparison to Apache or any other webserver LiteSpeed is x-time faster and needs up to 50% less ressources.

I have more than 1 dozen applications running with LiteSpeed and Lscache with up to 1 Mio. items and more than 100k users a day on a very simple dedicated server, but my TTFB is less than 20ms. By the way, TTFB doesn't matter for customer experience. So what is your problem? :)