ErrorLog's with Apache confs

TomBG

How can we get errors either included in the access.log or in their own file?

Customers need to be able to check the logs for script errors, site errors, broken links, etc. But it doesn't look like there's any way to get this working. Our existing customers using LS have been asking us the same thing. They want errors written to a log they have access to and can monitor.

Tony

Is this a control panel reading the log errors? For cPanel for example you need the log level set as INFO in lsws in order for users to see logs from their cPanel error log page.

TomBG

Is this a control panel reading the log errors? For cPanel for example you need the log level set as INFO in lsws in order for users to see logs from their cPanel error log page.

No this is for a custom Apache installation with our own control panel software. But if they've got it to work, then it must be possible somehow. Probably by writing everything to the access.log file.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
cPanel grep the users' home directory in the main error log to extract errors relate to that user.

What's your solution when Apache is used? Per vhost error log file?

TomBG

cPanel grep the users' home directory in the main error log to extract errors relate to that user.

What's your solution when Apache is used? Per vhost error log file?
That's what I'd like to have. Is this not possible? Are there any plans to have error logs written to their own files? It's so much more convenient for management on hundreds or thousands of domains.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
LSWS honor the 'ErrorLog' directive, but using per-vhost error log has scalability issue when large number of vhosts are hosted. Grepping the global error log file is a better solution to me.

TomBG

Yes, I do see that it's writing to the error.log files. We'll keep an eye on things as far as performance is concerned.

How would this differ any from writing to hundreds/thousands of access.log files?