FreeBSD 8.0 out now... Also cPanel issue

I've seen a few threads about updating the Litespeed build to support FreeBSD 7.0+ or 8.0 out of the box...

It runs on and 7 and 8 but it isn't taking advantage of the speed of the newly upgraded OS/scheduling. It's still using FreeBSD 6.x compatibility which is WAY behind as 7.0 was a *huge* upgrade and now 8.0 is even faster/more optimized.

Also the FreeBSD installation with the cPanel/WHM plugin doesn't work. It cannot build PHP even though EasyApache works fine. It can be done manually but what I found is even though mysql/zend are built in we still see db connection issues and/or zend errors. It leaves too much room for error, it'd be nice if FreeBSD got some love like Linux does, at least once a year :)

The FreeBSD 8.0 upgrade really needs to be addressed for both lslb and lsws. I did a search and found many requests already in this forum so I'm guessing I'm preaching to choir.... but maybe? heh

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
We can fix the WHM plugin if can get access to a FreeBSD server to play with. cPanel + FreeBSD is not popular.

As for native build for 7.0 and 8.0, I am not sure. We already got 3 packages for freebsd, while only two packages for Linux, if support 7.0 and 8.0, need to add 4 packages, just too much.

I think the 6.x compatible binary still be able to take advantage of the kernel improvements in 7.0 and 8.0. Just the userland libraries are different, the kernel is still run at full speed, maybe there is a thin kernel call translation layer, but the impact should be minimum, just like running 32bit application on 64bit OS.

We will do some performance test see if there is any major difference.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
OK, WHM plugin has been updated to work in a FreeBSD server.
Just reinstall the plugin, or download LSWS 4.0.11 package and install again.