How to limit the number of lsphp processes that can be spawned?

Hey All,

We're using litespeed with varnish on three web frontends running joomla that connect to a single db server. We are having a problem where we are running out of memory on our servers.

I need to know how we can limit the number of lsphp processes that can be spawned?

Thanks,
staiano

Thanks mistwang. I am a little bit of a n00b with LS, can you explain to me a little on why you think LiteSpeed internal page cache would give us better results than Varnish?

Our current problem is over time the site becomes unresponsive and it seems to stem because ever other day or so the memory and swap usage end up at pretty much 100%. We have to take a box out of rotation restart LS, clear the eaccelerator cache and then restart varnish or worse, reboot the box entirely to clear the problems. When one box goes the other two end up going down shortly after since they can't handle things by themselves. We are looking to upgrade the memory from 4 to 8Gb but also were considering limiting the number of lsphp processes that spawn.

---

To give a little further backgroud about the site we [mydailymoment.com] have: 1) a joomla section that get ~150K page views and ~50K uniques and 2) a non-joomla section of our site with ~150K page views and ~10K uniques with both sets of number being daily values so we are a high volume site but the issue doesn't necessarily occur at high traffic times. We have done code review and have been unable to find anything glaring that stands out on that front.

Anyway I'll take any thoughts you have.

Much appreciated,
staiano

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
You need to find out what causes the memory problem. you have to find it out in order to fix it.
varnish may use memory for their cache storage, consume available memory.
LiteSpeed cache use HD as storage, linux kernel should be smart enough to manage I/O buffer memory without causing trouble.

eAccelerator cache can be cleared with a cron job, it should not be a problem.