lingerd support

Would be great to hear any experiences of people installing lingerd and making it work with LiteSpeed. It's a *very* useful tool to make Apache behave.

Lingerd is a daemon (service) designed to take over the job of properly closing network connections from an http server like Apache.

Because of some technical complications in the way TCP/IP and HTTP work, each Apache process currently wastes a lot of time "lingering" on client connections, after the page has been generated and sent. Lingerd takes over this job, leaving the Apache process immediately free to handle a new connection. As a result, Lingerd makes it possible to serve the same load using considerably fewer Apache processes. This translates into a reduced load on the server.
http://www.iagora.com/about/software/lingerd/

ts77

I don't think that lingerd is needed for litespeed.
with apache its useful as a "lingering connection" keeps an apache-process busy (at least for apache 1.x) but with litespeed its all in one process which handles the different connections on its own and no process is blocked because of a lingering connection.

If I'm wrong with that then mistwang will surely correct me :).

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
ts77 is correct.

Because of some technical complications in the way TCP/IP and HTTP work, each Apache process currently wastes a lot of time "lingering" on client connections, after the page has been generated and sent. Lingerd takes over this job, leaving the Apache process immediately free to handle a new connection.
Apache is inefficient at procesisng large number of idle connection, period. Not because of any technical specification in the TCP/IP or HTTP protocol. Apache relies on heavy thread/processes for each connection where as LiteSpeed uses event-driven processing using only max 1 process per cpu-core.

LiteSpeed does not waste cpu cycles and ram with idle connections like Apache. Basically lingerd isn't needed.

Checkout our whitepaper on performance to get an more detailed view on how Litespeed processes connections versus Apache.