Litespeed and PHP 4.4.7 end of life

brrr

Since PHP have announced that support for PHP 4.4.7 will be discontinued from 2007-12-31, will the standard LWSW PHP bundle soon be updated to PHP 5.2.4 or something before then?

The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5.

brrr

Yes, we can update to PHP5 anytime if we want to, but we still prefer PHP4, as it is faster with smaller binary.
Aha. Thanks for the info.

But how much faster is 4.4.7 over PHP 5.2.4? 10%? or >50%?

If the performance margin isn't substantial, I'd suggest that the potential benefits of moving to 'native' support for 5.2.4 now would outweigh any potential performance hit.

The benefits include less hassle for LSWS customers, most of which (judging from forum posts) seem to end up compiling PHP 5 support in anyhow, which sometimes gets messy.

Some mainstream PHP apps (like MediaWiki) that potential LSWS users might want to get into also now won't run on PHP4, unless you revert to older versions of the software.

And given the 4.4.7 end of life in Dec 2007, by years end I suspect most folks won't want to be running un-supported software like PHP4 in future, esp business users.

So maybe the time to transition LSWS to PHP 5 is now? :)

Aha. Thanks for the info.

But how much faster is 4.4.7 over PHP 5.2.4? 10%? or >50%?

If the performance margin isn't substantial, I'd suggest that the potential benefits of moving to 'native' support for 5.2.4 now would outweigh any potential performance hit.

The benefits include less hassle for LSWS customers, most of which (judging from forum posts) seem to end up compiling PHP 5 support in anyhow, which sometimes gets messy.

Some mainstream PHP apps (like MediaWiki) that potential LSWS users might want to get into also now won't run on PHP4, unless you revert to older versions of the software.

And given the 4.4.7 end of life in Dec 2007, by years end I suspect most folks won't want to be running un-supported software like PHP4 in future, esp business users.

So maybe the time to transition LSWS to PHP 5 is now? :)
Most people will be doing their own PHP compile no matter what, and while the process may seem cumbersome at first, it's not bad at all and certainly not messy. We've made our own prepatched PHP packages (which is actually really easy to do), so all that needs to be done is...download the package, configure php (./configure [options], make, make install, as usual) and then copy over the new lsphp binary.

I know we always do a compile and never use the default binary, unless under special circumstances.

brrr

Yes, I bit the bullet and have started down the ./configure path, first on my CentOS5 dev box, and then if all works OK, onto my CentOS 4.5 prod machine.

But so far - UGH - what a hassle. Multiple ./configure halts - even though I was basing ./configure on the existing fully functional options for another PHP5 install on the same CentOS5 box, first the PHP ./configure run wanted pcre-devel, then aspell-devel, then it barfed again on something else having the wrong base path. Lots of googling and yumming and rpm finding later (=about 1 or 2 hours of scratching around) I finally got a PHP 5.2.4 binary to miraculously emerge from the build process on my dev server.

Now I have to test out whether the new PHP binary will stably work with LSWS and eAccelerator as-is or I will need to recompile eAccel too for this PHP5 instance. If all this works out, then I'll move to attempt the recompile process all over again on the CentOS 4.5 production site.

Compare this to the about **2 minutes** it took to originally install LSWS w PHP 4.4.7 and eAccelerator on both of my servers and you see why I would love for PHP5 to be part of the LSWS default install. :)

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Yes, building PHP binary is not a easy task sometimes, unfortunately, even if we ship PHP 5 binary, you may still need to build your own as it may not have all the PHP modules needed.

brrr

I eventually got a functional binary built on CentOS 5 after going back to the original PHP and LS SAPI sources, rather than the medialayer pre-assembled lsphp kit, which (for me at least) did not cut the mustard :(

I guess you could take the same approach to building PHP5 into a LSWS installer as you have with 4.4.7 - not all modules are in the 4.4.7 installer but you made a judicious selection with 4.4.7 that delivers enough functionality for most users to get straight down to business with LSWS with their standard PHP apps (forums, CMS's, wiki's, blogging platforms etc) without hours of error-prone futzing about trying to roll-their-own PHP :)