LiteSpeed CGI Daemon Auto start options

Hi,

You are stating this on your website (when running with suexec worker mode):
Setting PHP processes to be started by the CGI Daemon (WebAdmin console > Configuration > External App > your external application > Auto Start) greatly reduces this overhead, though.

From what I can see you have these 2 new options in the 5.0 version of LiteSpeed:
Through CGI Daemon
Through CGI Daemon (async)

1. Is there something we should be aware of if we set "Through CGI Daemon" or "Through CGI Daemon (async)" compared to "Yes"? When running "suEXEC Worker Mode".
  2. Is it just to set an any of those options and we don't have to do any server configuration changes?
  3. Will the clients have to do any adjustments?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
"Through CGI Daemon (async)" is for server with extreme high I/O wait, it prevent server from blocking when call "fork()" system call.
If you server's I/O wait is not high (less than 10%), you wont see big difference.

Hi mistwang,

Ok. So to be clear;
We can chose "Through CGI Daemon" instead of "Yes" in Suexec worker mode without taking any other considerations to server or client setup? And this will greatly reduce overhead (and increase speed)?

NiteWave

Administrator
I think so.
"Through CGI Daemon" imply "Yes" (also "Through CGI Daemon (async)"). no other related configurations.
difference between "Through CGI Daemon" and "Yes" in run time:
lsphp's parent process is different, can view this by "pstree -p"

>And this will greatly reduce overhead (and increase speed)?
it depends. in some servers it may have big difference while maybe little difference in other servers(for example, low traffic server).
you can test on your server and know the exact answer for one particular server.