lsws does not use the error log

SyNeo

Hello.

I'm interested to see which pages are not located by my visiters (error 404), but I have discovered that lsws does not use the error.log at all. The file always left at 0 size, and no errors are logged to the file. I have checked the settings, and I have the following options:

<log>
<useServer>0</useServer>
<fileName>$VH_ROOT/logs/error.log</fileName>
<logLevel>WARN</logLevel>
<rollingSize>10M</rollingSize>
</log>

Any idea why the log file stays empty?

Thank you.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
logLevel should be set to "info".
Also, if you use awstats, all urls result in 404 are listed there, should be easier to locate them. :)

George

SyNeo

Hello.

Should the error log be set to INFO on a sever side level, or the virtual site level? I have it set to INFO on the virtual site level, but it doesn't log any error.

Also, I have several custom error pages defined, including the 404 error. Can it affect somehow the error log? Worth to say, that this site worked well on Apache2, but I have achieved the custom error pages effect there via the .htaccess file, and here I had to define them in the control panel.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Missing files are not logged into error log under INFO level either, we thought it could fill up your disk quickly under high load. Sorry about the inaccurate information in last post. So, you have to look into the access log. :)

Directory level error page configuration is not available yet in LSWS and the directives in .htaccess are ignored, so you have to set it at virtual host level now. We may make it available at directory level and support those directives in .htaccess in the future. Customized error page has no effect on error logging.

Best Regards,
George Wang

This may or may not be a bug, but seems to me like unexpected behavior.

Each one of my vhosts has a "logs" directory under the vhost document root. However if there is an error in a php script, it gets logged to the server root log directory in stderr.log. Is this something that needs to be configured on a per vhost basis?

BTW, the access log works as expected and configured, by logging under the vhost document root "logs" directory

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
yes, there is only one global stderr log file, we may add per virtual host stderr log in the future.

If you are using FCGI with the latest PHP release, all stderr output by PHP process will be logged into the error log. Our Litespeed SAPI still log into the global stderr.log