ModSec @rbl Operator

Hello,

I want to block IPs in RBL blacklist. I tried below modsec rules from OWASP.

Code:
SecRule IP:PREVIOUS_RBL_CHECK "@eq 1" "phase:1,id:'981137',t:none,pass,nolog,skipAfter:END_RBL_LOOKUP"
  SecRule REMOTE_ADDR "@rbl sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org" "phase:1,id:'981138',t:none,pass,nolog,auditlog,msg:'RBL Match for SPAM Source',tag:'AUTOMATION/MALICIOUS',severity:'2',setvar:'tx.msg=%{rule.msg}',setvar:tx.automation_score=+%{tx.warning_anomaly_score},setvar:tx.anomaly_score=+%{tx.warning_anomaly_score},setvar:tx.%{rule.id}-AUTOMATION/MALICIOUS-%{matched_var_name}=%{matched_var},setvar:ip.spammer=1,expirevar:ip.spammer=86400,setvar:ip.previous_rbl_check=1,expirevar:ip.previous_rbl_check=86400,skipAfter:END_RBL_CHECK"

SecAction "phase:1,id:'981139',t:none,nolog,pass,setvar:ip.previous_rbl_check=1,expirevar:ip.previous_rbl_check=86400"
SecMarker END_RBL_LOOKUP

SecRule IP:SPAMMER "@eq 1" "phase:1,id:'981140',t:none,pass,nolog,auditlog,msg:'Request from Known SPAM Source (Previous RBL Match)',tag:'AUTOMATION/MALICIOUS',severity:'2',setvar:'tx.msg=%{rule.msg}',setvar:tx.automation_score=+%{tx.warning_anomaly_score},setvar:tx.anomaly_score=+%{tx.warning_anomaly_score},setvar:tx.%{rule.id}-AUTOMATION/MALICIOUS-%{matched_var_name}=%{matched_var}"

SecMarker END_RBL_CHECK
It didn't work. I tested with LiteSpeed 4.2.2 and 4.2.4. Does LiteSpeed support @rbl operator?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
No LiteSpeed does not support @rbl, it is very hard to do for a non-blocking event-driven server as it need to query a server on the network.

Dan M

Is there any update on support for @rbl?
Perhaps we don't mind a performance penalty if we are only doing lookups for certain requests and use some sort of mechanism to prevent repeated lookups of the same IP?

Michael

Staff member
@RBL is still not supported, though we will be working on implementation that should allow for support in the future. This is still a number of steps away, though. Without implementation allowing for processing these queries in a separate queue, this kind of rule would completely block the web server while it is being processed. That would be death for page load time.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for the update. It would be really helpful if you had a wiki page with all the supported mod_security features listed, I wasted several days trying to get this to work only to find this thread after much searching!

Michael

Staff member
Point taken. The issue with that is that there are so many ModSecurity features out there. Right now, we have a very simple wiki outlining the groups of rules we don't support. In the future, though, it would be ideal to have a list of unsupported rules. We don't have time to compile this list at the moment, but I'm making a note to set it up. The best solution might be for the list to be community maintained, with people reporting unsupported rules and we can confirm them.

Cheers,

Michael