MySQL client ran out of memory

i successfully install lsws on my the webserver for my forums and i must say it looks faster already, without any tuning

but there is one problem which i just cant figure out

when the 'user promotions' scheduled task runs, it generates an error

User Promotions

Warning: mysql_query(): Unable to save result set in /includes/class_core.php on line 373

There seems to have been a problem with the XBoard.US database.
Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Database error in vBulletin 3.5.0:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT user.joindate, user.userid, user.membergroupids, user.posts, user.reputation,
user.usergroupid, user.displaygroupid, user.customtitle, user.username,
userpromotion.joinusergroupid, userpromotion.reputation AS jumpreputation, userpromotion.posts AS jumpposts,
userpromotion.date AS jumpdate, userpromotion.type, userpromotion.strategy,
usergroup.title, usergroup.usertitle AS ug_usertitle,
usertextfield.rank
FROM user AS user
LEFT JOIN userpromotion AS userpromotion ON (user.usergroupid = userpromotion.usergroupid)
LEFT JOIN usergroup AS usergroup ON (userpromotion.joinusergroupid = usergroup.usergroupid)
LEFT JOIN usertextfield AS usertextfield ON (usertextfield.userid = user.userid);

MySQL Error : MySQL client ran out of memory
Error Number : 2008
Date : Monday, July 10th 2006 @ 10:19:35 PM
Script : http://www.xboard.us/bbb/xxx/cronadmin.php?do=runcron&cronid=3
Referrer : http://www.xboard.us/bbb/xxx/cronadmin.php?do=modify
IP Address : xxx
Username : xxx
Classname : vb_database

php is running with lsapi. the default installation had mysql 3.xx which was not good enough so i compiled my own php as per instructions in the wiki

php ver 4.4.2
mysql is running on a separate server - ver 4.1.16-standard
client as per phpinfo - Client API version 4.1.19

if any other information is needed please ask

edit:
P.S.: everytime this error is generated, one line is added to /usr/local/lsws/logs/stderr.log - 'Out of memory (Needed 293404 bytes)' - the number of bytes fluctuates between 290000 and 400000

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
There is a bug which ignore the per application limits, will be fixed in next release. In the mean time, you can change the global limit under server->'security'->'CGI resource control'.

thank you, this has solved the problem.

the default was 60M and 70M. i first changed it to 80M and 100M and it did not work. then i changed it to same as lsphp setting and it is now working at 120M and 150M

but is that not too high? what would be an optimum level?

is there any guide to tweaking/tuning lsws for best performance and optimum resource usage? i find that the help in the admin panel is helpful, but not very detailed, and leaves a less educated person like me craving for more