Problem: Content Encoding Errors for Firefox Users

Over the last few months, I've been continually having readers complain that they are receiving content encoding errors using Firefox:

Content Encoding Error
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
invalid or unsupported form of compression.
I've gone through multiple versions of LiteSpeed with the same problems - I'm currently on v4.0.12 and using PHP 5.2.12, but the content with errors is not being served up through PHP anyway...

I'm using WordPress with Super Cache (with compression disabled), so the files are being served up via static cached html copies and a rewrite rule. I'm also using the default LiteSpeed gzip compression settings.

This is becoming a very large problem - so much so that I'm weighing my options of maybe switching to nginx or something else. Any advice would be very helpful.

Nope, it's definitely not full. I would think that would break everything across the board.

As mentioned, the problem is only for Firefox users - Google Chrome, IE, works fine accessing the same page.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
If it can be reliably reproduced, we can take a look.
Maybe firefox does not handle compression for certain language encode, so need to turn off gzip compression dynamically for those pages via rewrite rule.