$SERVER_ROOT variable in error document

Discussion in 'General' started by closet geek, Oct 19, 2008.

1. closet geek

closet geek Well-Known Member

Hi,

We are trying to setup a global error document page that all virtual hosts will serve when the error is triggered.

I tried to put this $SERVER_ROOT/404.html in the error document section of each virtual host but this simply triggers a redirect loop. Why is this variable not available? How do we solve this problem?

Thanks.

2. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

That's because the file "$SERVER_ROOT/404.html" does not exist.
    You need to create the file first, you need to replace $SERVER_ROOT/ with the real server root, then create 404.html there, usually it is /opt/lsws or /usr/local/lsws.

3. closet geek

Hmm fair enough, I assumed $SERVER_ROOT would work as it is used in many other places throughout the configuration.

It still doesn't work however, I have changed the value to /opt/lsws/404.html and the file is definitely there.

Thanks.

4. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

check the file permission of /opt/lsws/404.html.

5. closet geek

-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nobody 4 Oct 19 20:18 404.html

I've also tried 755 and root as the owner...

6. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

It should work.
    What exactly the error you got?

7. closet geek

I just get the standard litespeed 404 page. I've turned on debug output, the problem is that litespeed is looking for the file here:

/home/username/public_html/opt/lsws/404.html not here: /opt/lsws/404.html

I have ExtApp Chroot Mode set to Same as Server.

Thanks!

8. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

Looks like it has been set to "$DOC_ROOT/opt/lsws/404.html" for some reason.
    How vhosts were configured?

9. closet geek

We configured them manually. Which part of the configuration could cause this problem?

10. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

OK, I know what is wrong, it is a misunderstanding, when you configure A "Custom Error Page", the path is a URL, not a file path.

You have to set the error URL to "/404.html", then add a static context, equivalent to "Alias" in Apache, mapping "/404.html" to "/opt/lsws/404.html".

11. closet geek

All working now :)