Sub-feature request : SSI's in parallel

Marcus

Hi,

I'm not sure what you're planning on doing with your SSI implementation, and I assume that you're planning on doing so anyway, but if not I'm guessing it would probably be a good idea to process SSI requests in parallel for speed (with the ability to block parallel processing if necessary, e.g. to wait for variables).

Marcus

Will you not have the option to block if needs be?

What happens if you want to break up a page into parts, setting some variables in one of the blocks?

e.g.

<--# include virtual="/parts/settings" -->
<--# include virtual="/parts/head" -->
<--# include virtual="/parts/body" -->
<--# include virtual="/parts/footer" -->

In /parts/settings

<--# set name="temp_var" value="temp_val" -->

And in /parts/body

<--# echo var="temp_var" -->

If you don't allow for some kind of blocking structure

e.g.

<--# include virtual="/parts/settings" wait="true" -->

then what happens if you want to use variables defined in separate files? Do they sometimes work and sometimes not, depending on how quickly you can get the file (which seems like a bad idea), or do they always work/never work?

If you had:

<--# include virtual="/parts/settings" wait="true" -->
<--# include virtual="/parts/head" -->
<--# include virtual="/parts/body" -->
<--# include virtual="/parts/footer" -->

Then only the first part is blocking, but guarantees that all the necessary variables in it are parsed before the other parts are built (which could be done in parallel).

Will you have something like this?

Marcus

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

If there are lots of parts, though, a quicker implementation might be to execute them in parallel, but as shown above, if necessary, sequentially. That would allow for faster processing of say calls to proxy servers (should some of the parts be included on other servers).