Will Magento run faster on..

Hi

I currently have a Magento website running on a Hybrid server which is running Litespeed, the hybrid is basically a CloudVPS with dedicated 20Gb RAM, dedicated Raid 1 hard drive and 6 Virtual CPU's running at 2.0 Ghz Intel processor with 4Gb cache per vCPU

I have the option to upgrade this server to: 18 vCPU's, 32Gb RAM and a 4 Drive RAID 10 hard drive setup, will the Magento run quicker on this server or will it be very marginal?

The other option is to purchase a Dedicated server running 2 x 2.4 Xeon's RAID 10 hard drive setup and 16Gb RAM..I will of course be adding Litespeed to this server if I decide to make the move?

At the moment my hybrid server runs around 30 Joomla / Wordpress websites and they fly!..with Litespeed and CloudFlare CDN...it is just the Magento website that is slow at loading.

My biggest worry is to move everything over from the hybrid to a dedicated server, spending 4 times the amount and then not actually gain any speed by doing this...or perhaps have Magento run even slower?

I am told that the Hybrid server (which are from Heart Internet in the UK) are massively powerful servers which are just effectively chopped up into virtualisation servers.

Any advise and help would be greatly received.

Thanks

Darren

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Generally, faster CPU, more memory and faster disk will make site faster.
Magento is pretty much PHP bounded, so the one with higher CPU processing power will make Magento faster.
Check I/O wait of your current server, if is higher than 10%, then need to look into faster disk system.

Many thanks for your reply, so would you say that having a 2 x Xeon's running 2.4Ghz which gives 8 cores and 16Gb RAM would run a Magento website slower than a 2.93Ghz quad core and 16Gb RAM?

Can you tell me how do I check the I/O please?

NiteWave

Administrator
>Can you tell me how do I check the I/O please?
at command line, run "top", you'll see something like
0.4%wa

this mean the iowait is 0.4%

wanah

I would wait for litespeed 5 with esi cache. That should make magento fly ! Magento without cache of some sort will always be quite slow not matter what you through at it.

If you can't wait, maybe try RC3 and provisionaly use turpentine until litespeed brings out their plugin. Maybe contat them and see if they are ready for some beta testers for their cache plugin...

I would wait for litespeed 5 with esi cache. That should make magento fly ! Magento without cache of some sort will always be quite slow not matter what you through at it.

If you can't wait, maybe try RC3 and provisionaly use turpentine until litespeed brings out their plugin. Maybe contat them and see if they are ready for some beta testers for their cache plugin...
Thanks very much for your reply, very interesting info.

I was not aware there was a new version of Litespeed coming out that could address the Magento speed issue, so this is great news.

I have not actually gone live with my Magento website yet, it is still about a month off being finished so hopefully by then the new version of Litespeed will be available :)

I posted this email to sales@ but have not had a replay after 5 days so am now posting it here in the hope that I get a reply?;

I have a Magento website that is running very slow (around 6 – 8 seconds to load the home page) it is loaded onto my Litespeed server which runs my other Joomla and Wordpress websites lightening quick.

I have enabled MySQL Cache Query and that helped by a marginal amount but have been onto your forum and asked a few questions, one person said that you will soon be releasing Litespeed 5 and that it will have esi cache…and that will make any Magento website fly, is this correct? will I need to purchase a new license or upgrade my license to include the esi cache, and when will this version be released?

I am considering getting another server with SSD’s and taking out another Litespeed license for that server (keeping my existing server and Litespeed license) so it would be great to do everything at the same time if Litespeed 5 is due to be released in the next month?

Michael

Staff member
Howdy Darren,

As I said via email, I'm sorry this post got by us. Thanks for emailing to make sure we saw it.

Yes. ESI, if set up correctly, should greatly improve the speed of Magento stores. We are releasing a Magento extension called LiteMage that will automatically integrate Magento with LSCache's ESI support. Both LSWS 5.0 (with ESI) and LiteMage should be officially released within a month.

LSWS 5.0 does not require a new license. You can upgrade now to 5.0 RC3 using the command /usr/local/lsws/admin/misc/lsup.sh -f -v 5.0RC3 . A number of users are already using RC3 on production machines.

LiteMage will require an addon to LSWS. The licensing is not totally set up yet, but you should be able to add this as an addon to your license (like LSCache). We also have not decided pricing yet, though the addon will almost certainly be free to start.

Michael