503 errors with php 5.4.x

Discussion in 'Install/Configuration' started by CanHazCode, May 23, 2012.

1. CanHazCode

CanHazCode New Member

Edit:* I figured out what this was. Anything running php 5.4.x would crash php with 503.

Code:
    2012-05-23 10:35:12.215 [STDERR] PHP Fatal error:  Directive 'allow_call_time_pass_reference' is no longer available in PHP in Unknown on line 0
    in php.ini I changed this from On to Off
    Code:
    allow_call_time_pass_reference = Off
    Just thought I'd post it here so the community was aware if it comes up for anyone else as this was using default litespeed php.ini

Thank you.
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. webizen

webizen New Member

Off is the default. so likely you turned it on for other version and reuse for php5.4
    Code:
    allow_call_time_pass_reference = Off

3. CanHazCode

CanHazCode New Member

This was a fresh install of everything right down to the distro. Fresh downloads of everything else today as well. All new entirely. Looking at the extracted tree from my litespeed tarball I grabbed today, allow_call_time_pass_reference is set to On.
  4. webizen

webizen New Member

it should be safe/better to use php.ini that comes with php 5.4.
  5. nisiwi

nisiwi New Member

I'm seeing the same error. The install script is checking for this configuration and is not finding it. If this is the default why are we getting this error ?
  6. webizen

webizen New Member

What install script are you referring to? The compile/install script within PHP will not check the configuration.
  7. nisiwi

nisiwi New Member

The install script for an app to be installed onto the server - i.e. it could be the install script for vTger CRM or Wordpress or whatever
  8. webizen

webizen New Member

php.ini that comes with php 5.4 tarball should have allow_call_time_pass_reference set to Off by default. for other php.ini, you need to check before use. not all app install script check that directive.