.htaccess problem

bill

I have a codeigniter project inside the b1 folder in my shared hosting public_html folder:

mydomain.com/b1/controller/function

I want to change it to:

mydomain.com/controller/function

in the browser bar using a 301 redirect.

My .htaccess file in my public_html has:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^b1/(.*)$ /$1 [R=301,L,NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ b1/$1

EXPLANATION:

RewriteRule ^b1/(.*)$ /$1 [R=301,L,NC] # THIS IS TO REWRITE ALL REQUESTS FROM THE NAVBAR IN MY PROJECT WHICH HAVE THE FORM mydomain.com/b1/controller/function TO mydomain.com/controller/function. AFTER THIS THE NAVBAR SHOULD SHOW mydomain.com/controller/function ( I ASSUME )

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ b1/$1 # THIS IS TO TAKE ALL INCOMING REQUESTS AND ADD A b1 IN FRONT SO mydomain.com/controller/function IS REDIRECTED TO mydomain.com/b1/controller/function - BUT INTERNALLY, SO THAT THE BROWSERS ADDRESS BAR STILL SHOWS A 'PRETTIER' mydomain.com/controller/function

According to http://htaccess.madewithlove.be/, this should work, but I still see:

mydomain.com/b1/controller/function

in my address bar.

Please note that this is a codeigniter project and CI has the following .htaccess file . ( again the project is in my public_html/b1 directory )

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule .* index.php/$0 [PT,L]

As far as I can tell mod_rewrite is working because RewriteRule ^(.*)$ b1/$1 works when a match to the rule above it does not occur.

Could some combination of the 2 .htaccess files be causing the lack of visible rerwrite in the address bar? I would like to debug this and figure out how to achieve the URL format discussed above.

Thank you,

Bill