Rails, LSAPI, Rewrites, Contexts, Authentication

Discussion in 'Install/Configuration' started by mabonyi, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mabonyi

mabonyi New Member

I have a Rails LSAPI serving multiple virtual hosts (so the LSAPI is at the server level). Each virtual host operates off a single template, which has this for the template-wide rewrite rules:

RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/system/maintenance.html -f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !/stylesheets*
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !/images*
    RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !maintenance.html
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /system/maintenance.html [L]

RewriteRule ^/$ /index.html [QSA]
    RewriteRule ^/([^.]+)$ /$1.html [QSA]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ /dispatch.lsapi [QSA,L]

This rewrite set has been the standard I've used for all Rails LSAPI hosts, but none of those hosts needed authentication on a subdirectory within the Rails application. I cannot see a way to convert these rewrite rules into contexts so that I can follow the same advice given in the post "Install/Configuration > authorization realm in rails context".

If there is a way to replace the last two rewrite groups, then I can see how it is possible using the correct priority for each rule. I need to, just like the other post, restrict /admin/ to an authentication realm, but I'm all at sea on how to inject this context before the last rewrite rule. Presently, adding a /admin Static Context does nothing because the URL has already been rewritten to /dispatch.lsapi by the time Contexts are run. And there is an admin directory, but requests are still rewritten to the LSAPI.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. mistwang

mistwang LiteSpeed Staff

How about use /dispatch.lsapi as a 404 handler, so you can remove the last rewrite rule?
  3. mabonyi

mabonyi New Member

Very clever and it works perfectly. It doesn't even give the wrong HTTP response code. Thank you.